Mexican judge hands down country’s first life sentenceDecember 23rd, 2010 - 1:26 pm ICT by IANS
Ciudad Juarez (Mexico), Dec 23 (IANS/EFE) A judge in the northern state of Chihuahua imposed Mexico’s first sentence of life in prison, the state Attorney General’s Office said.Alfredo Cruz Guzman, 18, found guilty of kidnapping and auto theft, was sentenced in accordance with recent revisions to the state penal code.
He was a member of a recently dismantled kidnapping gang that operated in Ciudad Juarez, a violent metropolis just across the border from El Paso, Texas, the Chihuahua AG’s office said.
State Gov. Cesar Duarte hailed the harsh sentence, pointing out during a visit to Juarez that Cruz tortured and mutilated his captives.
“I want to make it clear that, even with the approval of the Federal Anti-kidnapping Law, the state is ready to exercise its sovereignty, enforce the law and the life sentence,” the Chihuahua governor said here Tuesday.
Duarte was referring to a vote last month in the Mexican Senate to establish a maximum prison term of 70 years for kidnappers who kill their captives.
Chihuahua accounts for more than a third of the 30,000-plus drug-war deaths reported in Mexico over the last four years, while Juarez is the country’s murder capital, with 3,100 homicides this year.
In October, the state legislature passed a bill mandating life in prison for kidnappers, extortionists, killers of journalists and police and multiple-murderers.
Like Spain and most other Latin American nations, Mexico has traditionally limited to 30 years the amount of time anyone can be held behind bars.
- Mexican kidnapper becomes first woman to be jailed for life - Feb 03, 2011
- Five bullet-riddled bodies found on Mexican highway - Dec 31, 2010
- Mexican city's lone police officer kidnapped - Dec 28, 2010
- Doctor shot dead in Mexican city - Dec 24, 2010
- Six mutilated bodies found in Mexico - Sep 12, 2011
- Extortionists torch school in Mexican border city - Dec 07, 2010
- Mexico busts gang that kidnapped doctors - Mar 03, 2010
- 13 shot dead inside bar in Mexico - Apr 22, 2012
- Gunmen attack funeral procession in Mexican city - Feb 17, 2011
- Singer shot at during robbery in Mexican city - Feb 23, 2011
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- Over 200 kidnap victims killed in Mexico in 2010 - Feb 04, 2011
- Funeral home attacked with fire bombs in Mexico - Mar 02, 2011
- 300 women killed in 2010 in Mexican border city - Dec 26, 2010
- 5 killed in attack on Mexican bar - Apr 03, 2011
Tags: auto theft, captives, ciudad juarez mexico, drug war, duarte, harsh sentence, homicides, judge hands, kidnappers, latin american nations, life in prison, life sentence, maximum prison, mexican senate, murder capital, penal code, prison term, state attorney general, state gov, war deaths