Mexican drug smugglers stuffed cocaine inside frozen sharksJune 17th, 2009 - 7:08 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 17 (ANI): The Mexican Navy has seized over a ton of cocaine stuffed inside frozen sharks by smugglers.
Military pressure is forcing drug gangs to go to greater lengths to conceal narcotics bound for the United States, SKY News reports.
Navy officers cut open over 20 shark carcasses filled with slabs of cocaine after checking a container ship in a port in the southern Mexico state of Yucatan. X-ray machines and sniffer dogs had helped uncover the drugs.
“We are talking about more than a ton of cocaine that was inside the ship,” Navy Commander Eduardo Villa told reporters.
“Those in charge of the shipment said it was a conserving agent but, after checks, we confirmed it was cocaine,” he added.
Gangs have been hiding drugs in sealed beer cans, religious statues and furniture, as Mexico’s military cracks down on the cartels moving South American narcotics north.
President Felipe Calderon has sent 45,000 troops and federal police across Mexico to try to crush powerful smuggling organisations.
But traffickers armed with a huge arsenal of grenades and automatic weapons are far from defeated, worrying Washington as violence spills over into US states, such as Arizona. (ANI)
- Mexico cocaine 'hidden in sharks' - Jun 17, 2009
- Police arrest top drug trafficker at Mexico City airport - Dec 29, 2011
- Obama telephones Mexican president Calderon after Tony Tormenta's death - Nov 07, 2010
- Cocaine stash found in steamroller - Feb 20, 2011
- Mexican cartels moving drugs in armoured vehicles - Jan 18, 2012
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- First woman joins Mexican navy's special forces - Dec 12, 2011
- Mexican drug cartel infiltrates Australia - Sep 15, 2010
- Mexican navy seizes 2.4 tonnnes of cocaine - May 04, 2010
- 24 killed in Mexico violence - Jan 09, 2011
- 134 tons of marijuana burnt in Mexico - Oct 22, 2010
- Mexico, a hub for money laundering, still the main foreign supplier of drugs to the U.S. - Mar 03, 2010
- Four tonnes of drugs seized in Mexico - Jan 09, 2012
- US woman finds $280K worth of drugs inside vacuum cleaner! - Jan 17, 2011
- Mexican drug cartels acquire tanks - Jun 08, 2011
Tags: automatic weapons, beer cans, carcasses, cartels, container ship, drug gangs, drug smugglers, federal police, mexican navy, military pressure, navy commander, navy officers, north president, president felipe calderon, ray machines, religious statues, sky news, sniffer dogs, southern mexico state, x ray