Mexican carnival goers burn clown’s effigy over jokesFebruary 20th, 2012 - 11:25 am ICT by IANS
Mazatlan (Mexico), Feb 20 (IANS/EFE) An effigy of a clown was burned at a carnival over the offensive jokes told by the performer about the June 2009 day-care center fire that killed 49 children in northern Mexico.
A committee decided Platanito’s effigy should go up in smoke Saturday night in the Pacific port city because he was the most distasteful celebrity they could identify.
Comedian Sergio Verduzco, who performs as Platanito, unleashed a storm last month on social-networking sites when he made several jokes on a televison show about the children who died at the ABC day-care center in Hermosillo, the capital of Sonora state.
Institutional Revolutionary Party, or PRI, presidential candidate Enrique Pena Nieto and National Action Party, or PAN, presidential hopeful Josefina Vazquez Mota, as well as Mazatlan’s mayor, who banned the distribution of condoms at the festival, were among the others nominated for the burning of effigies.
The committee, however, selected Platanito as the most offensive personality for showing poor taste and being loud.
The clown’s effigy was burned at a ceremony right before a massive fireworks display that featured the detonation of at least 2,500 fireworks.
Mazatlan’s carnival, which started last Thursday, has drawn thousands of tourists, who are enjoying parades and other events.
- Mexican comic blasted for joke about fire victims - Jan 18, 2012
- Mexico gears up for first televised presidential debate - May 07, 2012
- Playboy model is the talk of Mexican presidential debate - May 08, 2012
- Mexican candidate defends his lack of knowledge about books - Dec 07, 2011
- Mexico's president-elect vows to reduce poverty - Sep 12, 2012
- Dating service uses philandering Mexican politician's image - Jun 08, 2012
- Families in Mexico daycare fire make film to demand justice - Jun 04, 2011
- Kidnapped Mexican mayor found dead - Jun 29, 2012
- `Mexico must look into obstacles to press coverage' - Jul 05, 2012
- Nieto claims Mexico presidency win - Jul 03, 2012
- Mexican presidential hopeful goes public with new romance - Aug 03, 2011
- Mexican rights body probes attack on reporter - May 14, 2012
- Remains of missing Mexican politician found in mass grave - Mar 17, 2012
- Mexico sets world record for highest suspension bridge - Jan 07, 2012
- The image of Enrique Pena Nieto, Mexican presidency front-runner, used to promote adultery - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: abc day care center, center fire, day care center, detonation, effigy, enrique pena nieto, fireworks display, goers, institutional revolutionary party, josefina vazquez mota, last thursday, massive fireworks, northern mexico, offensive jokes, parades, poor taste, social networking sites, sonora state, televison, verduzco