Metro services disrupted again in KolkataOctober 22nd, 2010 - 5:25 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 22 (IANS) Metro services in Kolkata were disrupted briefly Friday after a rake developed a technical snag at the Kavi Subhas terminal station due to which the train was stranded at the station.
A metro railway spokesperson said the axle cup on an empty rake developed a snag while the train was taking a U-turn for its return journey to Dum Dum. Consequently, the train could not move further and got stuck at the Kavi Subhas station.
The incident took place within 48 hours of the first derailment of the Kolkata Metro, the country’s first such railway system that completed 25 years last year.
The incident has triggered panic among commuters and a high-level probe has been ordered to ascertain the causes.
“The quick response team, set up following Wednesday’s derailment of two coaches of a metro train, immediately rushed to the spot today (Friday) and detected the technical fault. Normal train services resumed after 12 minutes,” said the spokesperson.
During that period, truncated metro services were run between Dum Dum and Mahanayak Uttam Kumar stations, said the spokesperson.
- Snags hit Kolkata Metro again - Oct 23, 2010
- Automatic signaling system introduced on Kolkata Metro - Apr 08, 2012
- Crowds absent a day after Kolkata Metro derailment - Oct 21, 2010
- Kolkata Metro services hit again - Oct 29, 2010
- Kolkata Metro services hit for 30 minutes - Nov 02, 2010
- Two coaches of Kolkata Metro derail - Oct 20, 2010
- Two Kolkata Metro coaches derail, services hit (Lead) - Oct 20, 2010
- Mamata hints at CPI-M hand in Kolkata Metro snags - Oct 23, 2010
- Kolkata Metro gets automatic signalling system - Apr 22, 2012
- Wheels of Kolkata Metro turn towards massive expansion - Jun 19, 2011
- Kolkata Metro to have smart card recharging machines - Jun 08, 2012
- No rail accidents after new technology is installed: Mamata - Oct 07, 2010
- Railways begin Kolkata Metro derailment probe - Oct 21, 2010
- Two Kolkata Metro stations to be named after journalists - Feb 07, 2011
- Strike paralyzes life in West Bengal (Lead) - Apr 27, 2010
Tags: commuters, derailment, kavi, level probe, metro railway, metro services, quick response team, railway system, rake, return journey, spokesperson, technical fault, technical snag, terminal station, train services, u turn, uttam kumar