Metformin may protect against liver cancerApril 2nd, 2012 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 2 (IANS) Metformin, a well-tolerated drug prescribed for diabetics, may also protect against liver cancer, says a new study.
The study, led by Geoffrey Girnun, assistant professor of biochemistry and molecular biology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, looks at the effect of metformin in cancer prevention and is one of the first to evaluate liver cancer.
“Since many of the effects of the drug take place in the liver, we were surprised when we reviewed the literature that there was no direct evidence for a protective effect of metformin in liver cancer except for a few retrospective epidemiological studies,” Girnun was quoted as saying in the journal Cancer Prevention Research.
He and his colleagues chemically induced liver tumours in mice. These mice taking metformin displayed minimal tumour activity, while the control mice (not given metformin) displayed significant tumour growth, said a university statement.
Girnun’s team also showed that metformin prevented liver cancer in part by inhibiting lipid synthesis in the liver, a process known to promote cancer.
Diabetics, obese individuals, patients with hepatitis or patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease are at the greatest risk for liver cancer.
- Vitamin E helps cut fatty liver disease in kids - Apr 28, 2011
- Peg or two lowers risk of liver disease - Apr 23, 2012
- Turmeric could prevent liver damage - Oct 30, 2010
- Vitamin E can fight fatty liver disease in kids - Apr 28, 2011
- Diabetes drug reduces cancer risk - Nov 27, 2011
- Fish-oil components can treat chronic illness? - Oct 09, 2010
- Diabetes drug could help prevent lung cancer - Apr 20, 2010
- New approach could reverse liver failure - Aug 06, 2012
- Diabetes drug spurs growth of brain cells - Jul 06, 2012
- Aerobic exercise 'may curb non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in obese' - Apr 14, 2011
- Scientists develop new animal model to tackle liver disease - Jul 05, 2012
- Liver cancer can be caused by excess growth hormone - Apr 14, 2012
- Diabetes increases risk of cancer, say experts - Jun 17, 2010
- People with fatty liver disease '3 times more likely to suffer stroke' - Jan 08, 2011
- Diabetes drug may provide protection against endometrial cancer - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: alcoholic fatty liver, biochemistry and molecular biology, cancer prevention research, control mice, diabetics, direct evidence, epidemiological studies, fatty liver disease, journal cancer, lipid synthesis, liver cancer, liver tumours, maryland school, metformin, non alcoholic fatty liver, non alcoholic fatty liver disease, obese individuals, school of medicine, tumour growth, university of maryland school of medicine