Merkel advises Greek referendum on euro membershipMay 19th, 2012 - 1:46 am ICT by IANS
Athens, May 19 (IANS) German Chancellor Angela Merkel has suggested to Greek President Karolos Papoulias to hold a referendum on the country’s membership in the Eurozone during parliamentary polls, RIA Novosti reported.
According to Greek government spokesman Dimitris Tsiodras, Merkel in a telephone conversation with Greek president advised him to hold a referendum on the country’s membership in the Eurozone during parliamentary elections to be held June 17.
The decision on the new polls came after no party was left with a majority in parliament following the May 6 elections as voters turned their backs on established parties over the country’s financial crisis. Nine-days of power-sharing talks proved unsuccessful.
Greece is expected to introduce more unpopular austerity measures next month to meet targets agreed on its bailout deal with other Eurozone countries and the International Monetary Fund.
- Greece to vote in new polls June 17 - May 17, 2012
- New Democracy party asked to form Greek government - Jun 18, 2012
- New Democracy party asked to form Greek government (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Samaras begins coalition talks for a Greece government (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Greece votes in parliamentary elections (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Greek referendum plan plunges financial markets into frenzy - Nov 02, 2011
- Greeks vote in crucial parliamentary election - May 06, 2012
- Antonis Samaras sworn in as Greece prime minister - Jun 20, 2012
- France and Germany voice support for Greek reform and austerity program - Jun 18, 2011
- Greek PM insists on referendum on EU aid deal - Nov 02, 2011
- Greek PM asks for 'time to breathe' - Aug 25, 2012
- Euro referendum needless, says Greek finance minister - Nov 04, 2011
- Greek pensioner's suicide sparks protests - Apr 06, 2012
- Greece needs structural reforms to rebuild economy: Merkel - Jan 16, 2012
- Greece votes on EU bailout - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: angela merkel, austerity, bailout, chancellor angela merkel, euro membership, eurozone countries, financial crisis, german chancellor angela merkel, government spokesman, greek government, greek president, international monetary fund, karolos papoulias, nine days, novosti, parliament, parliamentary elections, parliamentary polls, referendum, telephone conversation