Melbourne should axe Grand Prix, says lawmaker

February 21st, 2011 - 2:48 pm ICT by ANI  

Melbourne, Feb.21 (ANI): A Labor lawmaker has told the Australian Parliament that most of the people in Melbourne are in favour of axing the Australian Grand Prix because it’s too expensive.

Labor Member of Parliament Michael Danby, whose Melbourne Ports electorate hosts the Grand Prix circuit, said he had polled 600 local residents about the Formula One race with a majority 10-1 opting to ditch the event.

He said Defence Minister Stephen Smith had confirmed the traditional F/A-18 fly over the Grand Prix would be scrapped this year.

The Age quoted Danby, as saying that his constituents were sick of blocked road access during the Formula One race and the loud noises from cars, crowds and fly overs.

He said that the taxpayers were fed up of footing a 15 million Australian dollar a year bill for the sporting event.

Melbourne Lord Mayor Robert Doyle last month said the costs of running the Grand Prix were too high and called for a replacement for the event.

Melbourne began hosting the Australian Grand prix in 1996, taking over from Adelaide, and has an agreement to host the event until the end of 2015.

The Australian Grand Prix runs from March 24-27. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe