Melamine found in Chinese milk powder in ThailandSeptember 30th, 2008 - 12:07 pm ICT by IANS
Bangkok, Sep 30 (DPA) Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has found traces of melamine in 20 tonnes of milk powder imported from China, where at least four children have died from excessive melamine intake, media reports said Tuesday.The chemical was found in samples of milk powder taken from Dutch Mill Company’s warehouse, but the FDA has yet to issue a warning on the product until further tests are made to determine the level of melamine, the Bangkok Post newspaper said.
FDA secretary-general Narangsan Peerakit said results of the tests will be announced Wednesday.
Dutch Mill managing director Thirayuth Chaisawangwong said the company will keep the 20 tonnes of milk powder in storage until the FDA confirms the product’s quality.
European Union (EU) standards allow an intake of 0.5 milligrams of melamine, a chemical substance used to make plastic, per kilogram of body weight per day.
Excessive use of the chemical, used to spike milk products to boost their protein level, has caused the deaths of four infants and hospitalisation of some 13,000.
Besides distributing powder milk to Thailand, Dutch Mill also exports its products to Bangladesh, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam.
- 96 arrested in China for selling adulterated milk powder - Jan 13, 2011
- Melamine-tainted dairy product reappears in China - Nov 24, 2010
- China arrests 96 people for using tainted milk powder - Jan 14, 2011
- Six arrested in fresh melamine milk scandal in China - Aug 21, 2010
- China sets limit on melamine in baby food - Apr 21, 2011
- Police seize 64 tons of melamine tainted milk from northwest China plant - Jul 09, 2010
- Maharashtra welcomes lifting of ban on milk powder exports - Jun 02, 2012
- Chinese police arrests six suspects, 41 others in melamine milk scandal - Aug 21, 2010
- 248 Chinese officials arrested over food safety flaws in 2010 - Jan 31, 2011
- China jails 14 people in tainted milk case - Apr 30, 2011
- Chinese Milk Found Tainted With Melamine - Jul 12, 2010
- Melamine tainted milk resurfaces in China - Jul 09, 2010
- China launches stringent regulation on melamine to ensure food safety - Sep 26, 2010
- China bans more milk products tainted with melamine - Jan 25, 2010
- Cancer-causing chemical found in baby milk in China - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: bangkok post newspaper, china indonesia, dutch mill, food and drug administration, food and drug administration fda, indonesia malaysia, malaysia singapore, powder milk, protein level, thailand bangkok