Meet the world’s ‘loudest’ cat whose purr is as noisy as a Boeing 737!February 22nd, 2011 - 12:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 22 (ANI): A feline’s purr is usually a soothing, content sound - but not in the case of Smokey - the cat whose purr sounds as noisy as a Boeing 737.
The sound she produces can reach an incredible 92 decibels - same as kind you’d experience watching a Boeing 737 coming in to land.
While most cats produce 25 dB of sound, Smokey produces 80 decibels even from five feet away, reports the Daily Mail.
Owners Ruth and Mark Adams say the 12-year-old British Shorthair can drown out TV and radio shows and phone conversations with her ‘cooing purr’ which they describe as ’sounding as if she has a dove stuck in her throat’.
“She even manages to purr while she eats. The only time she is quiet is when she is asleep,” said Ruth.
“It’s either adorable or annoying, depending on what mood you’re in. You don’t even have to stroke her to start a purring session. Often she’ll do it for no reason.”
There’s a category for noisiest cat in the Guinness Book of World Records, but it’s not full yet, said a spokesman.
“If Smokey can purr at over 80dB it would be an astonishing feat,” he said.
Diana Johnson, of Northampton Cats Protection, who has met Smokey, said, “I have never heard anything like her purr in my life. It can drown out your conversation. It is very unusual and I’ve never found a cat with a purr that is anywhere near as loud.” (ANI)
- Is Smokey the loudest cat in the world with a 92-decibel purr? - Feb 22, 2011
- Cat wins Guinness record for loudest purr - May 22, 2011
- Now, meet the shrimp that makes more noise than a jumbo jet! - Mar 03, 2011
- Katy Perry to launch her perfume line - Jul 23, 2010
- US court tells pet cat he 'must attend' jury duty or face consequences - Jan 18, 2011
- Cat Ordered to do Jury Service in Boston - Jan 19, 2011
- 'Sound levels in ICUs exceed WHO limits' - Sep 18, 2012
- Elephants can sing, says study - Aug 03, 2012
- Meryl Streep's most dependable critic - her cat - Aug 31, 2009
- Cats' crying purr makes humans dance to their tunes - Jul 14, 2009
- Dog gave birth to a kitten? Not a cock and bull story - Jul 21, 2012
- Katy Perry's Catty Fragrance Ad - Oct 17, 2010
- City noises have forced songbirds to sing a different tune - Jan 06, 2011
- Soon, cell phones to be powered by conversations! - Sep 14, 2010
- Feline friends can give you allergies - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: 80 decibels, astonishing feat, boeing, boeing 737, book of world records, british shorthair, cats protection, daily mail, diana johnson, five feet, guinness book of world, guinness book of world records, london feb, northampton, phone conversations, purr, radio shows, spokesman