Meet the US soldier behind WikiLeaks breachNovember 30th, 2010 - 2:05 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 30 (ANI): It may not come across as an easy task to steal data and smuggle it out of U.S. army base on CDs and finally download onto a memory stick, but it was for the prime suspect of WikiLeaks breach.
U.S. soldier Bradley Manning, who is under solitary confinement, is awaiting trial over the WikiLeaks disclosures.
And according to the 23-year-old’s own account, it appears to have been staggeringly easy for him to make off with reams of highly classified data.
The downloads were carried out while Manning was working at the U.S. 10th Mountain Division in Iraq.
“I would come in with music on a CD-RW labeled with something like Lady Gaga… erase the music… then write a compressed split file,” the Daily Mail quoted him as saying in an online chat.
“No one suspected a thing. (I) listened and lip-synched to Lady Gaga’s Telephone while “exfiltrating” possibly the largest data spillage in America history.
“Hillary Clinton and several thousand diplomats around the world are going to have a heart attack when they wake up one morning and find an entire repository of classified foreign policy is available, in searchable format, to the public.
He claimed he had “unprecedented access to classified networks 14 hours a day seven days a week for eight plus months.”
Manning apparently downloaded all the information from the vast Siprnet (secret internet protocol router network distribution) database designed to connect U.S. military personnel across the world. (ANI)
- WTF Aka Wikileaks Task Force Set Up - Dec 23, 2010
- Security lapse behind US army private's secret cable transfer to WikiLeaks - Jan 31, 2011
- Leak inquiry centers on arrested US intelligence analyst - Jul 27, 2010
- US cables were dumped as obscure before WikiLeaks got them - Dec 31, 2010
- WikiLeaks spurned NYT, but Guardian leaked State Department cables to it - Nov 30, 2010
- Pentagon demands Afghan war files back, erased - Aug 06, 2010
- WikiLeaks expose: Pentagon wants Afghan war files back (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- US Air Force blocks media sites posting leaked 'Wikileaks' documents - Dec 15, 2010
- Wikileaks investigators fail to link Assange to prime suspect Bradley Manning - Jan 26, 2011
- Amazon stops hosting WikiLeaks - Dec 02, 2010
- Julian Assange's mom in Ecuador to seek son's asylum - Jul 29, 2012
- WikiLeaks founder 'sends out 100,000 copies of secret files as insurance' - Dec 04, 2010
- US seeks to build case for conspiracy by WikiLeaks - Dec 16, 2010
- US-based Amazon.com stops hosting Wikileaks on its Web servers - Dec 02, 2010
- WikiLeaks' Assange paid 66,000 euros in 2010 - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: 10th mountain division, 10th mountain division in iraq, america history, army base, daily mail, day seven, diplomats, distribution database, heart attack, hillary clinton, internet protocol, lady gaga, memory stick, network distribution, prime suspect, protocol router, reams, secret internet, solitary confinement, u s army