Meet the Brit farmer who has counted over 100,000 sheep this yearMarch 2nd, 2009 - 6:49 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 2 (ANI): A Brit farm worker has counted more than 100,000 sheep this year - not in a bid to fall asleep, but to see how many lambs is it carrying.
Andrew McGillivray, from Larbert near Stirling, scans pregnant sheep so he can tell the farmer how many lambs they are expecting, so that he knows how much feed to give each sheep to ensure a healthy birth.
The technique used by McGillivray is similar to the ultrasound used on pregnant women.
He rubs the ultrasound scanner probe underneath the sheep at the top of its leg, and can then see on screen how many lambs are inside the womb.
The animal is then spray-painted with a mark to indicate how many lambs it is carrying.
McGillivray, scans up to 2,500 sheep a day, and has scanned about 110,000 across central Scotland since the beginning of January.
He estimates he has seen around 165,000 lambs on the screen so far this year.
“It is useful for the farmer because it means the feed goes to the right places so you get even-sized lambs for lambing, the Telegraph quoted McGillivray as saying.
“Or if a sheep is expecting triplets and has only had two lambs the farmer might realise something is wrong and have a look,” he added. (ANI)
- Chinese farmer claims sheep gave birth to 'puppy' - Mar 26, 2011
- NHS sends a letter to a guy - Hilton Plettell telling him that he is pregnant with twins - Dec 09, 2010
- Mother abandons its Dalmatian lamb - Aug 10, 2012
- Schmallenberg virus manages to kill thousands of lambs in UK - Feb 27, 2012
- China looks at mass breeding of designer sheep - May 26, 2010
- Baa! Sheep can memorise 50 other sheep faces - Oct 03, 2011
- Now, iPhone apps to help you during pregnancy - Nov 27, 2010
- Why some people get sicker than others when exposed to same illness - Oct 31, 2010
- Space sensor technology makes bolts smarter - Dec 14, 2010
- Ultrasound as effective as CT scans in most cases - May 12, 2011
- Dieting pregnant women likely to have obese children - Apr 03, 2012
- Rajasthan deploys spies to curb sex determination tests - Jan 03, 2012
- Brit man told by hospital he's pregnant, maybe with twins - Dec 09, 2010
- Clinicians should carefully use X-rays on pregnant women, infants: Study - Feb 11, 2011
- Sheep rustling is on the rise in UK - Oct 04, 2011