Meet Phoenix Jones, the masked vigilante protecting streets of US townJanuary 7th, 2011 - 6:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 7 (ANI): A masked “superhero” vigilante going by the name Phoenix Jones is said to be protecting the streets of an American town.
Jones, who wears a bulletproof vest and stab protection gear under his black and gold costume, patrols the streets of Lynnwood, a town of 35,000 people just outside Seattle, Washington.
He also carries a Taser stun gun and pepper spray, and is driven around in a Kia by a female sidekick who does not get out of the car.
The case mirrors that of ‘Kick-Ass’, last year’s Hollywood film directed by Matthew Vaughn, in which an ordinary teenager tries to become a real-life superhero.
The vigilante told a television network that he has been stabbed and threatened with a gun more than once since his crime-fighting crusade began nine months ago.
“When I walk into a neighbourhood criminals leave because they see the suit. I symbolise that the average person doesn’t have to walk around and see bad things and do nothing,” the Telegraph quoted him as saying.
He recently prevented a car theft, chasing away a criminal who was breaking into a vehicle.
“From the right, this guy comes dashing in, wearing this black and gold suit, and starts chasing him away,” a witness revealed.
Jones is thought to be part of a nationwide group called the Rain City Superhero Movement.
Police say would-be vigilantes dressed in comic book costumes are lucky not to have been mistaken for criminals, and citizens should not put themselves in danger by trying to emulate their fictional heroes.
“Everyone on my team either has a military background or a mixed martial arts background, and we’re well aware of what it costs to do what we do,” Jones, who has been in contact with detectives, added. (ANI)
- Real-Life Super Hero: Phoenix Jones - Jan 07, 2011
- Police arrest masked superhero in Seattle - Oct 11, 2011
- Johansson loves the 'Black Widow' - Mar 20, 2012
- Stars Enjoy Halloween Spirit At Heidi Klum's Party - Nov 02, 2010
- 'The Green Hornet' - Clumsy excuse for cinema (IANS Film Review, Rating **) - Jan 15, 2011
- Cross-dressing policeman in Oz caught in an 'offensive act' by officers - Jan 19, 2011
- Florida man dies after Taser shock by police at Universal Studios - Apr 23, 2011
- Matthew Vaughn and 'Kick-Ass' try to do same - Aug 11, 2009
- 'Mugamoodi' - the super 'hero' who could've been superhero (Tamil Movie Review) - Sep 01, 2012
- Superheroes are bad role models for kids - Aug 16, 2010
- Downey Jr knocks down Sacrlett Johansson - Sep 26, 2011
- Pictures of Chris Evans donning Captain America's suit released - Oct 29, 2010
- Naked woman steals 2 cars including a police car - Jun 24, 2010
- Current lot of superheroes bad role models - Aug 16, 2010
- Egyptians form vigilante groups to protect properties from looters - Jan 30, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,