Meet Five, the elephant, who knows how to play harmonica!August 13th, 2009 - 6:31 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 13 (ANI): An elephant in West Midlands Safari Park knows how to play the harmonica.
Five, an African elephant, took up the hobby after a silver harmonica was accidentally left on the side of his enclosure.
The jumbo apparently times its puffs to produce a rhythmic sound.
In fact, now the animal regularly places the instrument into her trunk and plays it to the wonder of the keepers.
“It is very unusual for animals to actually get a sense of playing a tune. Five was really curious about it when it was left on the side - but everyone just thought she would lose interest after a few minutes,” the Telegraph quoted Wendy Jackson, spokeswoman from the park as saying.
She added: “But she kept going with it, hitting a few notes before realising what it did. Five was making tunes within a few weeks- it really is amazing.”
The West Midland Safari Park has three African elephants, which were rescued from an elephant orphanage in 1998 and they apparently have unique skills.
Five also picks up a paintbrush with her trunk to scrawl, while Latabe , other female elephant at the park, plays with a football.
Director of Wildlife at the Park Bob Lawrence mentioned that it was amazing to witness such unusual habits in the elephants.
He said: “They love to spend time eating, strolling around and investigating their surroundings. It was amazing when Five picked up the harmonica and started to play it - both female elephants really love music.
“The keepers play rock music to them to soothe them when they are being groomed. They all seem to have a number of talents - it is quite extraordinary.
“Five keeps the other elephants amused with the tunes and she plays it for a few minutes or so before going off to do something else. I just can’t wait to see what they are going to come up with next.” (ANI)
- Elephants flirt, argue and have tiffs like humans - Jun 06, 2011
- Playing harmonica may improve lung function in pediatric patients - Apr 03, 2011
- North Carolina's zoo elephant to get contact lenses on order - Jun 20, 2012
- Debate rages over judges who fall asleep on the job (The Funny Side) - Aug 24, 2012
- Female elephants are socialites! - Jul 27, 2011
- Elephant pair knocked down by tanker in Noida, one dies - Jun 29, 2012
- Older elephants are better leaders - Mar 16, 2011
- Mayawati flays poll panel for draping statues (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Kaziranga National Park attracts tourists - Jan 21, 2011
- Animals Killed And Left To Rot In British Safari Park - Jan 11, 2011
- Ants really do scare elephants - Sep 03, 2010
- Four elephant carcasses found in park - May 07, 2012
- New species of elephant shrew captured on camera - Sep 17, 2010
- Paris Hilton spots 'tiger' on safari - Jul 10, 2010
- Animals killed left to rot in British safari park - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,