Meet 22-year-old Billy, the world’s oldest dog!September 23rd, 2010 - 4:48 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 23 (ANI): Billy the Yorkshire Terrier has become the world’s oldest dog at 22 years, which is the canine equivalent of a human aged 154.
Billy is believed to be the world’s oldest living dog, having surpassed the current holder of the title with Guinness World Records.But his owner Betty Holdsworth, 71, from Halifax, says there’s lots of life left in him, as he still goes for walks twice a day and continues to act like a puppy.
“He’s got so much energy. He’s so affectionate and caring and he always wants to be near me. He just loves being spoilt,” the Daily Mail quoted Holdsworth as saying.
Holdsworth had taken in Billy after she found him at an RSPCA branch in June.
His previous owner had died but left behind her diaries which included the day in 1988 on which she bought him as a puppy Holdsworth revealed that after her previous dog died she wanted to get another to replace it, but decided to get an older pet, as she could not handle a puppy.
“They told me that they had this Yorkshire Terrier who was in a bit of a state,” she revealed.
“But he is not frail at all. He still loves to play and he is quite vigorous about it, playing tug of war and chasing after things to bring them back for me.
“He’s not showing any signs of slowing down. I think that is at least partly because of the quality of his life.
“He sleeps at the end of the bed and has developed a taste for the best dog food.
“As soon as I got him home it was as if he had always been there,” she said.
Alex Darwell, an officer who specialises in rehoming elderly animals for the RSPCA in Halifax, said that Billy is always friendly, and very energetic for his age.
“It is fantastic that he is in such good condition at his age. He has more energy than a lot of younger dogs, which come in to see us. He’s brilliant,” Darwell added.
If conclusive evidence of Billy’s age is accepted by Guinness World Records, he will beat the current oldest living dog, Sako Wilde. (ANI)
- World's oldest dog dies ahead of 27 birthday - Dec 08, 2011
- World's oldest dog Pusuke dies at the age of 26 years - Dec 08, 2011
- Recession affecting pets in Britain - Nov 13, 2011
- Cat ends up in English village after 250-mile Channel hop - Dec 17, 2010
- 13 dogs poisoned to death in Britain - May 30, 2011
- World's oldest dog Max celebrates 26th birthday with special party! - Aug 10, 2009
- British mother, son jailed over dogs' deaths - Feb 24, 2012
- At 51, Shayne could be world's oldest horse - Mar 02, 2012
- UK woman shows off 'oldest' pooch in the world - Nov 02, 2010
- World's oldest dog 'Otto' dies at 20 - Jan 15, 2010
- World's oldest dog dies in Britain - Jan 15, 2010
- Rescued World War I tortoise needs new home - Aug 11, 2012
- Jealous UK woman bites off partner's ear! - Feb 12, 2011
- Missing cat in UK returns home 7-yrs after disappearing - Jan 29, 2011
- Dog, allergic to grass, wears boots - Jul 02, 2011
Tags: 22 years, alex, best dog food, conclusive evidence, daily mail, darwell, dogs, elderly animals, guinness world records, halifax, holdsworth, left behind, oldest living dog, puppy, rspca, sako, signs, tug of war, yorkshire, yorkshire terrier