Medvedev sacks Russian Air Force commanderApril 27th, 2012 - 6:45 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has sacked Air Force Commander Colonel-General Alexander Zelin and dismissed him from military service, the Kremlin said Friday.
Zelin, 59, had been in the top military post for five years, during which the air force begun to receive new aircraft and equipment in significant numbers.
No reason was given for the dismissal but senior military commanders in Russia usually retire at age 60.
Igor Korotchenko, chairman of the defence ministry’s Public Council said the reshuffle was a normal practice for military officials.
“Medevedev’s move will give the road to new, younger military specialists,” he said, adding that the experienced Zelin would likely move on to a top post in a defence industrial holding.
“To the observer, Zelin appeared to preside over a period where air force procurement and plans became more planted in reality than merely in aspirations,” said Douglas Barrie, an air warfare analyst at the London-based International Institute of Strategic Studies.
- Medvedev replaces Russian Navy commander - May 07, 2012
- Medvedev accepts offer to head ruling party - Apr 27, 2012
- Russia to deploy S-400 air defence systems near borders - Feb 14, 2012
- West to have 80,000 cruise missiles by 2020: Russia - May 29, 2011
- Russia deploys air defence system in Abkhazia - Aug 11, 2010
- Russian Air Force tests new missile - Jan 25, 2012
- Russia to increase number of fighters in test flights - Feb 13, 2012
- Putin's victory his last: Condoleezza Rice - Mar 10, 2012
- Russia backs NATO action in Libya - Aug 12, 2011
- Number of priests in Russian armed forces to triple - Nov 18, 2011
- Medvedev orders to build new aircraft plant - Jun 10, 2012
- Putin returns to Kremlin amid protests (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Putin confirms Medvedev to be PM, given election win - Dec 02, 2011
- Gaddafi must step down: Medvedev - May 27, 2011
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad - Nov 29, 2011
Tags: air force commander, air force procurement, air warfare, barrie, defence ministry, dmitry medvedev, institute of strategic studies, international institute of strategic studies, kremlin, military commanders, military officials, military post, military specialists, new aircraft, reshuffle, ria novosti, russian air force, russian president, significant numbers, zelin