Medvedev replaces Russian Navy commanderMay 7th, 2012 - 8:06 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 7 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Outgoing Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has dismissed the commander of the Russian Navy, Admiral Vladimir Vysotsky.
He has now appointed Vice-Admiral Viktor Chirkov for the position, the Kremlin press office reported Sunday, without explaining the reasons for the dismissal.
The 57-year-old Vysotsky occupied the top military post for almost five years.
Chirkov, 52, was commander of the Baltic Fleet, before his appointment.
After his appointment, Chirkov said he would prioritise the construction of navy fleets in Russia.
“The most important thing for Russia is to build a fleet with the support of the president and like-minded persons,” Chirkov said.
In a similar move in late April, Medvedev sacked the Air Force commander, Colonel-General Alexander Zelin.
Zelin, 59, occupied the top military post for five years, during which the air force begun to receive new aircraft and equipment in significant numbers.
Medvedev appointed Major-General Viktor Bondarev, 52, as the new Air Force commander, and Zelin as an aide to the Russian defence minister.
Senior military commanders in Russia usually retire at age 60.
Igor Korotchenko, chairman of the defence ministry’s public council said the reshuffle was a normal practice for military officials.
“Medevedev’s move will give the road to new, younger military specialists,” he said.
- Medvedev sacks Russian Air Force commander - Apr 27, 2012
- Russia may evacuate personnel from Syria if attacked - Jul 29, 2012
- Russian warships not to enter Syria port: Navy chief - Jul 27, 2012
- Russian Air Force to get 180 new aircraft - Aug 11, 2012
- Russia to build new aircraft carrier after 2020 - Jul 27, 2012
- Russia to resume building diesel submarines - Jul 27, 2012
- US, Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills - Aug 23, 2012
- North Korean navy official visits Russia - Oct 20, 2011
- Russia to increase number of fighters in test flights - Feb 13, 2012
- Russia to deploy S-400 air defence systems near borders - Feb 14, 2012
- Russia to build n-powered destroyer by 2016 - Jun 30, 2011
- Medvedev orders to build new aircraft plant - Jun 10, 2012
- Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills in May - Feb 27, 2012
- Russia deploys air defence system in Abkhazia - Aug 11, 2010
- Russian Air Force tests new missile - Jan 25, 2012
Tags: air force commander, baltic fleet, defence ministry, dmitry medvedev, military commanders, military post, military specialists, minded persons, navy admiral, navy commander, navy fleets, new aircraft, reshuffle, ria novosti, russian defence minister, russian navy, significant numbers, vice admiral, vladimir vysotsky, zelin