Medvedev counts on progress in US-Russia tiesMay 17th, 2009 - 1:12 am ICT by IANS
Barvokha (Russia), May 16 (RIA Novosti) Russian President Dmitry Medvedev Saturday hoped there would be progress in resolving all outstanding issues between Moscow and Washington during his upcoming meeting with his US counterpart Barack Obama.
“In early July this year, several days prior to the (G8) summit in Italy, we will have a large meeting (with Obama) in Russia. I hope it can move dialogue to a new level,” Medvedev told journalists after talks with visiting Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.
Medvedev and Berlusconi Saturday met outside Moscow to discuss the upcoming G8 summit due to be held in July in Italy. Berlusconi said that Russia and the US had every chance of resolving any issues between them.
Moscow has been at loggerheads with Washington over plans to deploy a missile defence system in Central Europe. The US earlier signed agreements with the Czech Republic on hosting a radar station and with Poland on the deployment of 10 interceptor missiles by 2013.
Russia says the missile shield would be a threat to its national security while the US has argued it is needed to guard against the threat of missile attacks from states such as Iran.
Russia and the US have begun work on a new treaty to replace the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START I), which expires in December.
Obama said after a meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov earlier in May that Moscow and Washington had a great chance to “reset” relations.
The term “reset” has been used on a number of occasions by the Obama administration with relation to Russia-US ties. In March, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton presented Lavrov with a yellow box with a large red “reset” button on it, which she asked Lavrov to push with her.
On either side of the button the word “reset” was written in English and what was supposed to be a Russian translation.
- US not cooperating with Russia on missile defence: Minister - Sep 04, 2011
- Medvedev to discuss missile issues with US - Jun 11, 2010
- Medvedev sees potential for further cooperation with US - Aug 05, 2011
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile defence - Nov 11, 2011
- US says missile defence system no threat to Russia - Nov 24, 2011
- Putin, Obama to meet at G20 summit in June - May 30, 2012
- Russia denies deterioration in ties with US - Oct 31, 2011
- Russia, US may not agree on missile defence in Obama's tenure: US envoy - May 28, 2011
- US missile defence plans hinder new arms cuts: Russia - Jun 30, 2012
- NATO, Russia planning for Lisbon summit - Sep 22, 2010
- Russia will counter US missile defence: Medvedev - Feb 22, 2012
- Medvedev, Biden to meet in Moscow - Mar 09, 2011
- Medvedev signs new START ratification document - Jan 28, 2011
- Russia tests interceptor missile - Dec 21, 2011
- Putin, Obama agree to continue missile talks - Jun 19, 2012
Tags: barack obama, central europe, dmitry medvedev, g8 summit, hillary clinton, interceptor missiles, italian prime minister, loggerheads, missile attacks, missile defence system, missile shield, prime minister silvio, prime minister silvio berlusconi, radar station, reset button, ria novosti, russian translation, silvio berlusconi, upcoming meeting, us counterpart