Medics use vodka drip to save poisoned man!November 14th, 2007 - 1:59 am ICT by admin
Doctors at Mackay Base Hospital decided that the best method of saving the unconscious man’s life was to reverse the effect of the poison, ethylene glycol, by giving him pharmaceutical-grade alcohol.
In details released by the hospital, Dr Pascal Gelperowicz, who led the man’s treatment with Dr Todd Fraser, said that once the hospital’s alcohol supplies ran out doctors sent out for a case of vodka and the unusual drip was set up.
“We quickly used all the available vials of 100 per cent alcohol and decided the next best way to get alcohol into the man’s system was by feeding him spirits through a naso-gastric tube,” News.com.au quoted Dr Gelperowicz, as saying.
Dr. Fraser said the patient was given about three standard drinks an hour for three days in the intensive care unit.
“The patient was drip-fed about three standard drinks an hour for three days in the intensive care unit,” Dr. Fraser said.
“The hospital’s administrators were also very understanding when we explained our reasons for buying a case of vodka,” he added. (ANI)
- Kidney failure, muscle breakdown linked to kava tea - Apr 28, 2011
- Alcohol killing 20-year-olds in Britain - Aug 01, 2011
- Police hunt for man handing out poisoned drinks at Berlin Christmas markets - Dec 10, 2011
- Ecuador toxic alcohol toll climbs to 50 - Sep 03, 2011
- Elderly Britons hitting the bottle on the rise - Sep 07, 2012
- Russia sets minimum price for vodka - Jan 01, 2010
- Alcohol more harmful for women - May 07, 2012
- Vodka taste lies in the tongue of the tippler - Jun 16, 2010
- MJ's doc 'delayed calling 911 to cover up evidence' - Jan 05, 2011
- Boy burnt with cigarettes, beaten, clawed by stepfather - Feb 24, 2012
- 30,000 bottles of fake vodka seized in Russia - Jun 27, 2012
- Raise alcohol prices to save lives: British doctors - Dec 14, 2011
- Teenagers hospitalised at Wiz Khalifa's gig - Aug 06, 2012
- Brit girl, 15, drinks 152 units of alcohol every week, insists she's no alcoholic - Feb 16, 2011
- Vodka prices set for 30 percent hike in Russia - May 30, 2012
Tags: alcohol supplies, apparent suicide, details released, doctors, dr fraser, dr pascal, dr todd, drip, ethylene glycol, hospital dr, intensive care unit, mackay base hospital, naso gastric tube, north queensland, pharmaceutical grade, s system, standard drinks, suicide attempt, unconscious man, vodka