MCOCA court sends Abhinav Bharat activist to police custody (Lead)November 21st, 2008 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 21 (IANS) A designated special judge Friday evening remanded Sudhakar Chaturvedi, one of the accused in the Malegaon blast case, to police custody till Dec 3 under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).Special MCOCA Judge Y.D. Shinde also allowed the Maharashtra police Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) to bring before it Nov 24 the other nine people who are accused in the same case.
Chaturvedi was brought to Mumbai after the Chief Judicial Magistrate, Nashik, granted the ATS permission to seek his custody under MCOCA.
On Thursday, the ATS slapped various provisions of the MCOCA on all the 10 accused arrested in the Malegaon blast case, including Sadhvi Pragnya Chandrapal Singh Thakur.
Chaturvedi, general secretary of the right-wing Hindutva group Abhinav Bharat, was arrested by Mumbai Police Nov 4 for possessing an illegal revolver, live cartridges and a fake Indian Army identity card.
He confessed to the police that he had obtained the weapon and the fake army ID card from Malegaon blast case accused Lt. Col. Prasad Purohit. The army officer too had mentioned Chaturvedi’s name during his interrogation by the ATS, the court was told.
The Abhinav Bharat functionary, however, did not reveal to Mumbai Police the purpose for which Purohit gave him the weapon and the ID card, a police official said.
This apparently led the police to conduct a narco analysis test on Chaturvedi in Bangalore, from where he was brought Wednesday and lodged in a jail in Thane.
The police also seized from Chaturvedi a railway ticket for travel from Deolali in Nashik district to Dadar in Mumbai. An Abhinav Bharat full-timer, Chaturvedi owns a house in Deolali but has also rented an accommodation in Mumbai.
Six people were killed and 20 injured in the bomb blast in Malegaon Sept 29.
- Malegaon blast: Chargesheet against Pravin Mutalik - Apr 22, 2011
- Another key accused in 2008 Malegaon blast held (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
- Abhinav Bharat full-timer Chaturvedi sent to MCOCA court - Nov 21, 2008
- 11 Malegaon blast accused to be charged under MCOCA (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2010
- Malegaon blast: NIA to interrogate accused army officer - Jul 19, 2011
- High court grants bail to two Malegaon blast accused - Aug 03, 2011
- Maharashtra ATS arrest Mutalik in Malegaon blast case - Feb 01, 2011
- ATS recovers laptops, smells breakthrough on Malegaon blast (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2008
- Samjhauta blast accused arrested in Malegaon case - Feb 27, 2012
- Sadhvi Pragnya files fresh bail plea - Nov 18, 2011
- Malegaon blast: Purohit's custodial interrogation put off - Mar 21, 2012
- Army officer refused bail in Malegaon blast case - Nov 10, 2011
- Another key accused in Malegaon blast held - Feb 01, 2011
- Mecca blast accused sent to judicial custody (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- Malegaon blast accused to contest Uttar Pradesh polls - Jan 23, 2012