McDonald’’s waste makes up nearly a third of fast food litter on UK streetsJanuary 13th, 2009 - 2:10 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 13 (ANI): Wrappers and cups from McDonald’’s meals make up the largest proportion of litter on Britain’’s streets, according to a new survey.
The study, conducted by Keep Britain Tidy, looked at litter in 10 cities aover two days in the first attempt to discover which brand names were most commonly discarded.
It was found that fast food litter was second to cigarette ends in littering the countrys streets and 29 per cent of that was from McDonalds restaurants, followed by boxes and cups from unbranded kebab and fast food shops.
Greggs the bakers generated almost a fifth of the fast food litter, followed by Kentucky Fried Chicken, Subway and a number of coffee brands.
Keep Britain Tidy said that fast food companies should be doing more to make sure that the countrys streets were tidier.
We condemn litterers for dropping this fast food litter in the first place but also believe the results have pertinent messages for the fast food industry. McDonalds, the local chip shop, Greggs, KFC and Subway need to do more to discourage littering by their customers, the Telegraph quoted Phil Barton, chief executive of Keep Britain Tidy, as saying.
Fast food makes up a quarter of all litter found on our streets. We want fast food chains to play a more active role in delivering an anti-litter message at the point of sale, he added.
National Gutter Share the most littered fast food brands in England:
1. McDonald’’s 29 per cent
2. Unbranded fish and chips/kebab 21 per cent
3. Greggs -18 per cent
4. KFC 8 per cent
5. Subway 5 per cent and other branded coffee 5 per cent (joint place) (ANI)
- Coca-Cola 'Britain's most littered brand' - Feb 24, 2010
- Over 2 in 10 Brits loathe Man U - Mar 28, 2011
- Addicts cut down on junk food after calorie labelling - Jul 27, 2011
- McDonald's net income goes down - Jul 24, 2012
- Now, a fine for littering in Islamabad - Aug 17, 2011
- Man refused job because he's too clever - Jun 09, 2012
- McDonald's Makeover To Be Worth Billions Of Dollars - Apr 15, 2010
- McDonald's voted UK's Most-Hated Brand - Sep 21, 2009
- McDonalds Facing Lawsuit From US Consumer Group - Jun 23, 2010
- Fast food culture making people impatient - Apr 19, 2010
- From a Punjab kitchen, these sweets, snacks have travelled far - Jan 28, 2011
- Brits' favourite fish and chips set to take Russia by storm - Jan 24, 2010
- Five Guys Burger Voted As The Best Fast Food Burger In US - Aug 18, 2010
- McDonald's to pay Brazilian ex-employee $17,500 for weight he gained on the job - Oct 29, 2010
- Saucy poster for Brit clean up streets campaign branded "too dirty" - Jul 20, 2010
Tags: bakers, chip shop, cigarette ends, coffee brands, fast food chains, fish and chips, food brands, food companies, food industry, food shops, gutter, kentucky fried chicken, kfc, london jan, mcdonalds, mcdonalds restaurants, new survey, phil barton, point of sale, uk streets