McCain postpones meeting Jindal, speculation staysJuly 24th, 2008 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
New York, July 24 (IANS) Republican presidential candidate John McCain has “postponed” a planned meeting with Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, and despite the Indian American leader’s latest assertion that he was not running for vice president, speculation over his chances persisted. The meeting Arizona Senator McCain had scheduled with the governor in New Orleans Wednesday evening before the Thursday tour of an oil platform did not happen.
“Due to the weather, the senator’s planned trip to tour an oil platform has been cancelled and he will be postponing his meeting with Governor Jindal,” a McCain campaign spokesman told a Louisiana TV channel.
On Wednesday morning, Jindal made perhaps his strongest statement yet regarding running for vice president. Appearing on the TV programme FOX and Friends, he said: “I’m not going to be the vice presidential nominee or vice president.”
However, Fox cited Jindal insiders as saying that he would take the job if offered.
At a campaign stopover in Pennsylvania, McCain again praised him, saying: “Bobby Jindal and a number of governors, I think, are the future of the Republican Party.”
Meanwhile, according to a Republican-oriented pollster, Jindal has “what may be the highest approval ratings of any governor in the nation”.
In his memo to the Louisiana Republican Party, Wes Anderson of OnMessage Inc said 70 percent of the citizens in the state said in a poll that they have a favourable opinion of Jindal.
- US senator meets Kashmir governor, chief minister - Aug 17, 2011
- Haley, Jindal in Romney's VP guessing game - May 05, 2012
- McCain waxes eloquent on Palin while likening her to "divisive" Reagan - Nov 29, 2010
- Bobby Jindal backs Romney as Santorum quits - Apr 11, 2012
- Romney's path cleared; gets Bobby Jindal's backing (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- McCain's visit sparks debate in Kashmir - Aug 18, 2011
- Nikki Haley skips White House dinner to meet friends - Feb 28, 2012
- Jindal calls Obama 'most liberal, most incompetent' - Jun 09, 2012
- Bobby Jindal intensifies attack on Obama - Jul 19, 2012
- Bobby Jindal's support base grows - Sep 02, 2011
- Indian-Americans get prime spots at US presidential conventions - Aug 21, 2012
- As hurricane hits home, Bobby Jindal takes charge - Aug 29, 2012
- Bobby Jindal again denies running for vice-president - Jul 23, 2008
- Louisianan Governor, Bobby Jindal, Utters That The Lid Has Been Put Down On The 'Mariner' Platform Production - Sep 03, 2010
- Bobby Jindal 'not interested' in running for president in 2012 - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: american leader, approval ratings, arizona senator mccain, bobby jindal, campaign spokesman, fox and friends, john mccain, louisiana governor, mccain campaign, oil platform, pollster, presidential nominee, republican presidential candidate, republican presidential candidate john mccain, senator mccain, stopover, thursday tour, tv programme, wednesday evening, wes anderson