McCain commends Obama on bin Laden killingMay 2nd, 2011 - 2:55 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 2 (ANI): Senator John McCain, who was President Barack Obama’s GOP opponent in the 2008 election, praised the president Sunday night for approving a military raid that took out Osama bin Laden in Pakistan.
Defense Secretary Robert Gates briefed McCain on the news before Obama’s address.
“I am overjoyed that we finally got the world’s top terrorist,” Politico quoted McCain, as saying in a statement.
He added: “The world is a better and more just place now that Osama bin Laden is no longer in it. I hope the families of the victims of the September 11th attacks will sleep easier tonight and every night hence knowing that justice has been done. I commend the President and his team, as well as our men and women in uniform and our intelligence professionals, for this superb achievement.”
McCain, however, said that the US must be mindful that al-Qaeda and its terrorist allies are still lethal and determined enemies. (ANI)
- Statement by U.S. Senator John McCain on Bin Laden's death - May 02, 2011
- American leaders hail killing of Osama bin Laden - May 02, 2011
- 'Bin Laden death won't stop war': Ex Guantanamo Bay detainee Habib - May 02, 2011
- Osama death: Al-Qaeda down but not out, says former Oz foreign minister - May 02, 2011
- Reports: Obama to announce Osama bin Laden is dead - May 02, 2011
- Artisans across globe create Obama-Osama souvenirs - May 04, 2011
- Obama didn't see bin-Laden die: CIA Director Panetta - May 04, 2011
- McCain's visit sparks debate in Kashmir - Aug 18, 2011
- Text of Obama's speech announcing Osama's killing - May 02, 2011
- For Obama, economic challenges remain after Osama's killing - May 03, 2011
- Statement by former U.S. President Bush on Bin Laden's death - May 02, 2011
- Pakistan Taliban threaten US, Pak over Osama bin Laden's killing - May 02, 2011
- Osama's death, Middle East uprisings a significant blow to Al-Qaeda: US officials - May 04, 2011
- US says it showed "far greater" respect to Osama's body than he showed to 9/11 victims - May 05, 2011
- Osama plotted to kill Obama : reports - Mar 17, 2012
Tags: al qaeda, allies, barack obama, defense secretary, enemies, gop, gop opponent, intelligence professionals, john mccain, men and women, osama bin laden, pakistan, robert gates, secretary robert, senator john mccain, september 11th attacks, sleep, superb achievement, women in uniform