Massive fire in London ahead of Olympic closing ceremonyAugust 13th, 2012 - 3:03 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 13 (IANS) A blaze described as the biggest to have happened in London in several years broke out Sunday, and more than 200 firefighters had to battle it out.
The London Fire Brigade said it was called around 1.15 p.m. about a fire at a recycling centre in Dagenham, east London. At least 40 engines tried to combat the blaze, Xinhua reported. There were no reports of injuries.
The venue is not very far from the Olympic park, where the closing ceremony was due to be held. The BBC said the wind was likely to take the smoke northwards during the evening, away from the stadium.
London Fire Commissioner Ron Dobson said: “We have not seen a fire of this size in London for several years. It’s certainly a dramatic end to the Olympics for the London Fire Brigade. That said though, we are still able to attend incidents across the capital and the fire cover we are providing at the Olympic venues has not been affected.”
It was not clear how the blaze started.
- Fire breaks out at London building - Jun 14, 2011
- Kings of Leon scrap last 2010 gig after blaze - Dec 22, 2010
- 20 homes destroyed in the White Swan fire - Feb 14, 2011
- Mumbai blaze guts three shopping plazas, three firemen hurt - Nov 26, 2011
- Mystery explosion guts Indian restaurant in Sydney - Jul 06, 2010
- House fire in northwest London kills 6, injures 2 - Sep 24, 2011
- Two fires break out in Kolkata, no casualties - Jun 16, 2012
- Over 1,200 firefighters battle New Mexico's largest ever wildfire - Jun 04, 2012
- Korean ship catches fire, one injured - Mar 17, 2012
- Two firemen killed in US blaze - Apr 10, 2012
- Fire in Kanpur plastics scrapyard - May 17, 2011
- Fire in Kolkata factory - Dec 20, 2011
- Hundreds battle forest fire in China - Jan 28, 2012
- London 2012 Olympic team release first green report - Apr 23, 2011
- Furniture worth lakhs gutted in Chandigarh fire - May 15, 2012
Tags: bbc, blaze, dagenham, dobson, east london, fire commissioner, firefighters, london fire brigade, massive fire, olympic closing ceremony, olympic park, olympic venues, olympics, recycling centre, venue, xinhua