Mass grave of 100 Kurdish bodies uncovered in IraqMay 13th, 2009 - 7:51 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, May 13 (DPA) A mass grave of around 100 Kurdish bodies has been discovered in the southern Iraqi city of Diwaneya, the Buratha news agency reported Wednesday.
The discovery came following a tip received by Iraqi intelligence indicating the site of the grave, according to Fadel al-Sagheer, head of the human rights office in the city.
The graves included the bodies of women and children in their traditional Kurdish dresses. Initial investigations, al-Sagheer said, indicates they were probably victims of the 1991 Kurdish uprising against the regime of then Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.
In 1991, following the war to drive Iraq out of Kuwait, Kurds and Shia revolted against President Saddam. Both groups were hoping US troops would support them.
Those hopes were disappointed and the regime of Saddam was able to crush the revolt.
Human rights organisations estimate that tens of thousands of people have died during the crackdown which lasted for some months.
Several mass graves have been discovered since the fall of Saddam Hussein in 2003.
- 900 bodies found in mass grave in Iraq - Jul 07, 2011
- Saddam Hussein's secretary executed - Jun 07, 2012
- After war, Iraqis tell their tales through films - Apr 22, 2012
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- 800 bodies found in Iraq mass grave - Apr 15, 2011
- Iraq bans visits to Saddam Hussein's grave - Jan 22, 2012
- Iraqi legislators oppose execution of Saddam regime officials - Jul 17, 2011
- Last US troops out of Iraq (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- All US troops out of Iraq - Dec 18, 2011
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Iraq frees Saddam Hussein's interior minister - Jul 10, 2012
- Tariq Aziz's son pleads for condemned father's life - Dec 02, 2010
- Iraq's 'Chemical Ali' gets his third death sentence - Mar 02, 2009
- Holy See condemns Tariq Aziz death sentence - Oct 28, 2010
- Iraq's head of anti-Baath committee assassinated - May 27, 2011
Tags: buratha news agency, crackdown, fadel, initial investigations, iraq baghdad, iraqi city, iraqi intelligence, iraqi president, kurdish, kurds, kuwait, mass grave, mass graves, president saddam hussein, regime, revolt, saddam hussein, shia, tens of thousands, uprising