Mass grave found in Mexican cityMarch 16th, 2009 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
Ciudad Juarez (Mexico), March 16 (EFE) Nine bodies were found in a mass grave in this Mexican city, officials said.
The mass grave was discovered Friday night in the city’s southwest section, said prosecutors in Chihuahua state, where Juarez is located.
Chihuahua Attorney General’s Office personnel, federal agents and coroner’s office employees went to a field in the city after residents told authorities half-buried bodies were on the property.
The search of the lot will continue and more bodies may be found, officials said.
Among the items found in the mass grave was a badge belonging to an unidentified municipal police officer, raising the possibility that police officers may be among those buried at the site.
Daniela Gonzalez, a spokeswoman for the prosecutor’s office in Ciudad Juarez, said investigators gathered evidence at the site.
The section of Juarez where the mass grave was found has been used before by organised crime groups to bury bodies.
On Friday, about 3,500 soldiers arrived in Juarez, which lies across the border from El Paso, Texas, joining the 8,500 troops who have been patrolling the city since last month to fight drug traffickers.
Some 2,300 federal agents have also been deployed in the border city, which became infamous for the murders and disappearances of more than 400 women since 1993.
- Five bullet-riddled bodies found on Mexican highway - Dec 31, 2010
- Six mutilated bodies found in Mexico - Sep 12, 2011
- Doctor shot dead in Mexican city - Dec 24, 2010
- Gunmen attack funeral procession in Mexican city - Feb 17, 2011
- Violence leaves 8,500 orphans in Mexican border city - Feb 25, 2011
- 13 shot dead inside bar in Mexico - Apr 22, 2012
- Singer shot at during robbery in Mexican city - Feb 23, 2011
- Funeral home attacked with fire bombs in Mexico - Mar 02, 2011
- 300 women killed in 2010 in Mexican border city - Dec 26, 2010
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- Mexican city's lone police officer kidnapped - Dec 28, 2010
- 10 killed in bar shooting in Mexico - Apr 02, 2011
- 1,000 Mexicans held for involvement in sex trade - Jul 25, 2011
- Mexican city fires 400 cops - May 20, 2011
- Mexican border city officials seek ban on video game - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: border city, city officials, ciudad juarez mexico, coroner, crime groups, disappearances, drug traffickers, el paso, federal agents, friday night, investigators, mass grave, mexico march, municipal police officer, murders, police officers, prosecutor, prosecutors, southwest section, spokeswoman