Mass grave found in IraqNovember 30th, 2008 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Nov 30 (Xinhua) Iraqi security forces have discovered a mass grave with 33 decomposed bodies in a village in the volatile northern province of Diyala, the interior ministry said Sunday.Based on information from residents, the forces discovered the grave Saturday in Albu-Tu’ ma village near the town of Khalis, 75 km northeast of Baghdad, a ministry official said.
Amid the bullet-riddled bodies were also those of children and women in the more than a year old grave, he said.
It is suspected that the victims were kidnapped and killed by the Al Qaeda militants who were controlling the area at that time.
Diyala province, which stretches from eastern edges of Baghdad to the Iranian border, has been the stronghold of Al Qaeda in Iraq and other insurgent groups since the US-led invasion in 2003.
US and Iraqi security forces have found in different parts of Iraq scores of mass graves of people killed in chaos and sectarian strife.
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- 30 wounded in Iraq bombings - Sep 09, 2012
- 900 bodies found in mass grave in Iraq - Jul 07, 2011
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- 17 killed in two Iraq attacks - Dec 01, 2011
- Iraq hangs 12 Al Qaeda men for wedding massacre - Nov 25, 2011
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- 800 bodies found in Iraq mass grave - Apr 15, 2011
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- One killed in sticky bomb attack in Iraq - Nov 21, 2011
- Over 40 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Gunmen kill tribal leader, woman official in Iraq - Feb 16, 2011
- Iraqi factions sign peace pact proposed by radical Shiite cleric - Dec 25, 2011