Masked robbers strike at Puerto Rico casinoSeptember 17th, 2011 - 12:28 pm ICT by IANS
San Juan, Sep 17 (IANS/EFE) Five heavily armed assailants wearing masks made off with over $85,000 from a casino in the northern coastal town of Rio Grande, Puerto Rican police said Friday.
None of the roughly 40 patrons and employees inside the casino at the time of Thursday night’s robbery were hurt.
Authorities have no leads yet, said Puerto Rico police chief Emilio Diaz Colon.
Puerto Rico is in the midst of a crime wave marked by a dozen murders a week on average and numerous armed robberies.
Authorities attribute most of the mayhem to turf battles over control of the illegal drug trade in public housing complexes, yet the violence has also spread into upscale neighbourhoods favoured by tourists.
- Toddler left on slain father's body - Mar 20, 2012
- Puerto Rican held for killing two in US - Aug 17, 2012
- Spanish couple wins Puerto Rico Salsa Congress - Aug 01, 2011
- Puerto Rican militant arrested after 25 years on the run - May 11, 2011
- Roberto Duran bio-pic to begin filming in June - Apr 03, 2012
- Ex-Miss Universe resumes acting career after having baby - Aug 04, 2012
- Cheo Feliciano to join Dominican singer for his new album - Jul 07, 2011
- Two dead in shooting at Puerto Rico concert - Feb 28, 2011
- Puerto Rico mulls curfew in response to crime wave - May 21, 2011
- Costa Rican diplomat kidnapped in Venezuela (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Crime statistics won't be fudged: Puerto Rico top cop - May 17, 2012
- Costa Rican diplomat kidnapped in Venezuela is free - Apr 11, 2012
- Puerto Rican boxer shot dead - Jun 09, 2011
- Ruben Blades, Cheo Feliciano release salsa CD - May 31, 2012
- Wisin, Yandel hope for P.Diddy collaboration on new disc - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: armed robberies, assailants, crime wave, efe, emilio diaz, favoured, illegal drug trade, mayhem, murders, northern coastal town, patrons, police chief, public housing, puerto rican, rio grande, robbers, robbery, thursday night, turf battles, wearing masks