Martin Luther’s statue to be unveiled alongside Lincoln, Jefferson replicas in WashingtonFebruary 18th, 2011 - 6:45 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 18 (ANI): Martin Luther King’s statue would reportedly be unveiled in the National Mall in Washington on August 28 this year alongside America’s two best-loved former Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Thomas Jefferson.
A 30-foot statue of Martin Luther King Jr, which is still under construction, would be unveiled in the same National Mall where the slain civil rights leader had given his famous ‘I Have a Dream’ speech in 1963, the Daily Mail reports.
August 28 will mark the 48th anniversary of the historic speech.
King Luther, who was assassinated in April 1968, was a prominent leader in the African American civil rights movement. He became the youngest person to receive the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964 and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1977.
A replica of ‘Stone of Hope’ was unveiled at the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History in Detroit yesterday. (ANI)
- Martin Luther King's 'I have a dream' speech was written in Liverpool - Apr 05, 2011
- Palin criticised for 'hijacking' Martin Luther King's democratic values - Aug 29, 2010
- Exhibition chronicles Gandhi-King ties - Feb 02, 2012
- Ronald Harwood to script Martin Luther biopic for Dreamworks - Jan 20, 2010
- Glenn Beck's honor rally in front of Lincoln Memorial causes widespread controversy - Aug 28, 2010
- Glenn Beck Organizes A Honor Rally On King's 'Dream' Speech Anniversary - Aug 28, 2010
- Conservatives flood Washington rally - Aug 29, 2010
- Legacy of Martin Luther King Jr lives on in India: Expats - Jan 17, 2011
- White House blunder over Oval Office rug quote - Sep 06, 2010
- Martin Luther King Jr.'s son eyeing buying piece of New York Mets - Jan 31, 2011
- From bondage to White House: African-American history - Jan 18, 2009
- Glenn Beck's "Restoring Honor" Rally Mired With Controversy - Aug 28, 2010
- Samuel Jackson to make his Broadway debut as Martin Luther King Jr. - Apr 17, 2011
- Black leaders criticize Glenn Beck for holding a rally on Martin Luther King's iconic speech anniversary - Aug 27, 2010
- New photos of Obama's Oval Office released - Jan 06, 2010
Tags: abraham lincoln, african american civil rights movement, african american history, american civil rights, american civil rights movement, charles h wright museum of african american history, civil rights leader, civil rights movement, daily mail, dream speech, foot statue, former presidents, mail reports, martin luther king, martin luther king jr, medal of freedom, nobel peace prize, presidential medal of freedom, replicas, thomas jefferson