Martial law rumours gaining strength in PakistanNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:13 am ICT by admin
These rumours are also strengthened by the cancellation of former premier Benazir Bhutto’s expected visit to Dubai.
Political observers believe it is now a matter of time before Musharraf decides on resorting to extra-constitutional steps for a brief period to avoid the difficulties being faced by him.
Sources have said that no final decision has yet been taken as discussions are continuing between those who are in favour of taking this step before the announcement of the court order and those who want it taken only after the court’s decision if it goes against Musharraf.
The ruling PML-Q and its allies obviously do not relish the idea of an adverse decision by the SC, they said.
The PML-Q is also averse to the prospect of Nawaz Sharif’s return to Pakistan to challenge them, particularly in Punjab.
The PML-Q leadership has throughout hinted that the tenure of the National Assembly can be extended for one year to delay the general elections.
So they may be pushing for a longer interregnum than a short one, the Daily Times reported. (ANI)
- Benazir's 'assassin' being made Pakistan's Deputy PM: Qureshi - May 01, 2011
- Pakistan's ruling party, PML-Q try to corner Nawaz Sharif - Oct 27, 2010
- Architect of NRO Musharraf must also be tried: Pak PM - May 17, 2010
- What's in a name? Ask Musharraf and Pir Pagara! - Sep 21, 2010
- Breakthrough eludes Gilani in Pakistan's political crisis (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- PML-Q lays out five-point agenda for Pak Govt to resurrect nation's economy - Jan 20, 2011
- Pak parliamentarians want "insane" Musharraf "mentally examined"! - Oct 08, 2010
- Musharraf selects seat in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to contest poll - Nov 22, 2010
- "Somebody's silence" made Musharraf resign from presidency: Shujaat Hussain - Nov 14, 2010
- Pak politicians dismiss Gilani's 'evasive' address to nation 'mere eye wash' - Oct 18, 2010
- PML-Q to get Deputy PM post, several ministries on joining PPP-led Pak Govt: Report - Apr 30, 2011
- Gilani gets lawyer in contempt case (Evening Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Pir Pagara distances himself from Musharraf - Oct 08, 2010
- Nawaz terms PML-Q supporters of dictators, rules out alliance - Feb 22, 2011
- PML-Q won't blackmail beleaguered PPP-led Pak coalition govt: Shujaat - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: allies, benazir bhutto, dubai, favour, final decision, general elections, interregnum, law and order, martial law, matter of time, musharraf, national assembly, nawaz sharif, pakistan, pml, political observers, political uncertainty, punjab, relish, rumours