‘Mars flight possible after 2035′April 14th, 2011 - 3:34 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) An interplanetary spacecraft for a flight to Mars will be created not before 2025 and the maiden flight to the red planet will be possible only after 2035, said Russian space agency Roscosmos chief Anatoly Perminov Wednesday.
“The possibility of a flight to Mars needs to be combined with the construction of a spaceship having a new nuclear power propulsion unit, which will make it possible to reach the planet in a month,” Perminov said in Russia’s upper house of parliament.
He said the propulsion unit, which serves the purpose of changing the velocity of a spacecraft in the space, is to be built by 2019.
Some 7.2 billion rubles ($256 mln) are to be allocated as part of the state nuclear corporation Rosatom’s innovation development programme in 2010-2018 on the joint project with Roscosmos to create a nuclear power unit-based transport module for the future spacecraft.
Answering questions from senators in the Federation Council, the Roscosmos head called flights to Mars on board existing spaceships “absurdity,” and added that the prospective flight could only be organised on an international level.
Russia, as well as the US, have been developing technology to produce nuclear-powered spacecraft for decades. Roscosmos and NASA are planning to discuss the development of a nuclear-powered spaceship Friday during talks in Moscow.
- Russia, US may jointly develop spacecraft engines - May 18, 2010
- Russia may repeat mission to Mars moon - Feb 01, 2012
- Programme glitch led to Russian Mars probe failure: Report - Jan 31, 2012
- Russia's troubled Mars probe to hit earth - Jan 13, 2012
- Russia to send man to moon by 2030 - Apr 28, 2012
- Russia wants to join Mars mission - Oct 16, 2011
- Mars astronauts may be risking DNA damage - Apr 23, 2012
- NASA may use space station to prepare flights to Mars - Apr 07, 2011
- Russia, Europe plan joint mission to Jupiter - Dec 21, 2011
- Russia denies 'systemic crisis' in space industry - Sep 07, 2012
- Russia's Mars spacecraft falls in Pacific Ocean - Jan 16, 2012
- Russia's space industry in crisis: Official - Dec 24, 2011
- Russia launches space freighter - Oct 31, 2011
- Russia, Kazakhstan extend Friendship Treaty for 10 years - Jun 08, 2012
- Putin wants changes in Russian space industry - Sep 01, 2012
Tags: anatoly perminov, answering questions, developing technology, federation council, future spacecraft, house of parliament, innovation development, interplanetary spacecraft, maiden flight, mars flight, propulsion unit, red planet, ria novosti, roscosmos, rubles, russian space agency, spaceship, spaceships, transport module, upper house of parliament