Marial law in Pak, if SC goes against Musharraf: Pak MinisterNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:22 am ICT by admin
“I am not threatening anyone, but chances of martial law cannot be ruled out,” said Niazi, referring to the Supreme Court case.
Commenting on the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO), Niazi said that neither Nawaz Sharif nor Benazir Bhutto would benefit from the ordinance, as it would only end political cases, not corruption and money laundering cases.
The apex court had no authority to eliminate the NRO entirely, as the court could only erase the clauses of the ordinance that were against the human rights guaranteed in the Constitution, Niazi told Geo News.
While Musharraf has reportedly won the presidential election with a huge margin, the court has asked the Election Commission to withhold the result notification until it takes the decision on the petitions.
Niazi went on to say that for a smooth transition from the military rule to a civilian set-up and to block further military takeovers, it was important that Musharraf becomes president for another term. (ANI)
- Country stands by Supreme Court, says Imran Khan - Jan 16, 2012
- Musharraf to unite all factions of PML upon return to Pakistan - Jan 25, 2010
- Contempt of court: Supreme Court adjourns till Feb 1 - Jan 19, 2012
- Pakistan's Supreme Court issues contempt notice to Gilani - Jan 16, 2012
- Gilani convicted for contempt, opposition wants him out (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani convicted, opposition demands his ouster (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Attorney general gets court order in Zardari case - Mar 10, 2012
- Gilani contempt: Court summons top official - Feb 28, 2012
- Pakistan Supreme Court rejects plea to adjourn crucial hearing - Oct 11, 2010
- Gilani has committed contempt, rules court (Second Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- President enjoys immunity, Pakistan PM tells apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- Citing India, right to appeal sought in Pakistan - Jul 19, 2011
- No contempt proceedings if president has immunity: Pakistani court - Feb 01, 2012
- Evidence submitted in Gilani's contempt case - Feb 22, 2012
- Gilani has committed contempt, rules Pakistan court - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: apex court, benazir bhutto, election commission, geo news, martial law, military rule, military takeovers, musharraf, national reconciliation, nawaz sharif, nro, petitions, presidential election, result notification, smooth transition, supreme court case