Maria Sharapova grunts louder than a lawnmower at Wimbledon!June 27th, 2008 - 1:19 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 27 (ANI): At 103.2 decibels, Maria Sharapova made a racket on the court with grunting at levels to match a pneumatic drill as she played her second round of Wimbledon on June 27.
The 21-year-old Russian let out a volley of shrieks and yelps as she played fellow Russian Alla Kudryatseva in the second round.
Using a digital sound level meter, The Telegraph recorded maximum decibels of 103.2, louder than a motorcycle or a lawnmower.
She grunted loudly as she lost the first set, but her noisiest offering came as she served for the first time in the second set. Her opponent remained silent throughout, going on to win the match.
Last year, Sharapova broke her previous record of 102.7 equivalent to an ambulance siren by yelling at 103.7.
“It’s difficult for me because I have been doing it since the age of four. I don’t necessarily like it when I watch myself on television but it’s just automatic for me, she once said.
Normal conversation is registered at between 60 and 70 decibels and research has shown 115 decibels exceeds the human pain threshold.
There is a risk of hearing loss when noise is sustained at more than 90 decibels.
“She really does shriek incredibly loudly, it must be so off-putting to play against, the Telegraph quoted Spectator Jane Harris, 37, from Banbury in Oxford, as saying.
Sharapova is known as the noisiest player on the circuit, followed by Serena Williams, at a much lower 88 decibels, and her sister Venus, at 85 decibels, the equivalent of a Harley Davidson. (ANI)
- Murray thought someone was giving birth when Venus Williams was playing - Jan 20, 2011
- Sharapova claims grunting title during Round One at Wimbledon from de Brito! - Jun 23, 2009
- Putin congratulates Sharapova on French Open victory - Jun 10, 2012
- Loudest grunter at Wimbledon insists she is not a cheat - Jun 22, 2009
- Sharapova beats Azarenka to win Stuttgart WTA title - Apr 30, 2012
- Meet the world's 'loudest' cat whose purr is as noisy as a Boeing 737! - Feb 22, 2011
- I feared I was pregnant: Sharapova - Aug 28, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams destroys Sharapova to win gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Sharapova to cut her hair only on retiring - Jun 09, 2012
- Sharapova proud of her Russian origin - May 30, 2012
- Australian Open: Sharapova to meet Kvitova in semis - Jan 25, 2012
- Evert concerned about grunting women tennis players - Jun 29, 2009
- Sharapova could carry Russian flag in Olympics - Jun 13, 2012
- Now, cell phone that is as loud as vuvuzela - Aug 01, 2010
- Most Brits risking hearing with MP3 volumes louder than pneumatic drill - May 03, 2011
Tags: ambulance siren, banbury, harley davidson, hearing loss, jane harris, june 27, lawnmower, maria sharapova, pain threshold, pneumatic drill, serena williams, shriek, shrieks, sister venus, sound level meter, spectator, volley, wimbledon, wimbledon london, yelps