Margaret Thatcher’s handbag sells for 25,000 poundsJune 28th, 2011 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 28 (IANS) A handbag once used by former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher has been sold for 25,000 pounds at a charity auction.
The leather bag by British luxury brand Asprey was sold at Christie’s, BBC reported. Proceeds from the sales would go to three charity organisations - Combat Stress, the British Forces Foundation and Debra.
Thatcher was famously pictured with the bag when she stood with then US president Ronald Reagan in 1985.
The bag, owned by Thatcher for more than 30 years, was bought by an unnamed person from Cyprus.
Edwina Currie, a former minister in Thatcher’s government, said: “It wasn’t a shield, it was a weapon. It said, ‘I am Margaret Thatcher, I’m the boss, I’m in charge. I have all this power and I have control’.”
“That was why the handbag was always so neat and tidy and black and shiny and dominant. It would go on the Cabinet table. She used it as her filing cabinet and made herself notes during the day or at events and flourished them.”
Thatcher, born in October 1925, was prime minister from 1979 to 1990.
- Sarah Palin To Meet With Margaret Thatcher During UK Trip - Jun 14, 2010
- Spitting Image puppets of Lady Thatcher and her Cabinet up for grabs - Dec 03, 2010
- Streep donates film fee for charity - Nov 20, 2011
- Meryl Streep wins best actress trophy at BAFTA - Feb 13, 2012
- Norman St John-Stevas dies at the age of 82 years - Mar 06, 2012
- Thatcher held secret meetings with Indian guru - Jan 29, 2011
- Meryl Streep is 'perfect' for the role of Margaret Thatcher: Broadbent - Dec 30, 2010
- Law obsessed with manicures - May 08, 2012
- Trickle down won't work in eliminating poverty: Pranab - Jul 25, 2012
- 'The Artist' wins best costume design, 'The Iron Lady' makeup - Feb 27, 2012
- Thatcher's ingredient for power - eggs - Jan 30, 2010
- Nancy Reagan Celebrates Ronald Reagan's 100th Birthday - Feb 07, 2011
- Lockerbie bomber's family to sue Britain - Dec 03, 2010
- Palin may meet ex-UK PM Thatcher during London visit - Jun 15, 2010
- Margaret Thatcher is back at 10 Downing Street - Nov 24, 2009
Tags: asprey, bbc, british forces foundation, british prime minister, british prime minister margaret thatcher, cabinet table, charity auction, charity organisations, christie, combat stress, edwina, filing cabinet, handbag, leather bag, luxury brand, margaret thatcher, president ronald reagan, proceeds, ronald reagan, unnamed person