Maoists raid Essar Steel plant in ChhattisgarhJune 10th, 2008 - 12:36 am ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 9 (IANS) Heavily armed Maoist guerrillas Monday evening raided Essar Steel’s iron ore plant in Chhattisgarh’s Dantewada district, set fire to 19 vehicles and damaged other vital technical equipment, the police said. Dozens of Left insurgents stormed into Essar Steel’s iron ore plant located in the hilly Kirandul area in Dantewada district, 400 km south of capital Raipur, late in the evening, sources at the police headquarters here told IANS.
Soon after storming the plant, the rebels opened indiscriminate fire on labourers and employees and asked them to line up after snatching their mobile sets.
Rebels pumped out diesel from 19 vehicles parked at the plant complex and set them on fire. The Maoist rebels damaged several costly technical equipment.
Security reinforcements have been rushed to the attack site.
This is the second major attack on Essar Steel’s iron ore beneficiation plant in the last two months. In late April, the rebels had set on fire 53 trucks of the steel major.
Essar Steel supplies high quality iron ore from its 8 million tonnes per annum (mtpa) iron ore plant to the pellet plant in Visakhapatnam. The iron ore slurry is pumped through a 267 km pipeline to the pellet plant.
Dantewada along with Bastar, Bijapur and Narayanpur districts is facing blackout since June 5 after rebels blasted off 220 KV power transmission towers.
- Essar Steel commissions Phase 1 of Odisha pellet plant - Apr 09, 2012
- Essar official held for funding Maoists - Sep 28, 2011
- Rights activists demand release of suspected Maoist sympathiser - Sep 11, 2011
- NMDC to open new iron ore mine in Chhattisgarh - Jul 29, 2011
- Maoist shutdown hits iron ore shipment in Chhattisgarh - May 22, 2011
- Essar Group doubles steel capacity at Hazira, Gujarat - Feb 24, 2012
- Apply Chhattisgarh's special security law to Essar, says Congress - Sep 23, 2011
- Essar officials questioned over payment to Maoists - Sep 20, 2011
- Essar under scanner for paying Maoists - Sep 15, 2011
- Maoists torch road building vehicles - Oct 18, 2010
- Maoists blast rail tracks in Chhattisgarh - Sep 27, 2011
- Maoists set ablaze 19 trucks at NMDC mining complex - Jan 27, 2010
- NMDC resumes Chhattisgarh mining after a week - Jun 13, 2008
- Maoists raid NMDC mining complex, set ablaze 19 trucks (Lead) - Jan 27, 2010
- Maoists kill villager, blast Chitrakot police post (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: bijapur, blackout, chhattisgarh raipur, equipment security, essar steel, guerrillas, indiscriminate fire, iron ore beneficiation, labourers, last two months, maoist, maoists, police headquarters, power transmission, quality iron, rebels, reinforcements, slurry, steel plant, transmission towers