Many dead, scores missing following 6.3 magnitude earthquake in ChristchurchFebruary 22nd, 2011 - 12:04 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Feb 22 (ANI): A 6.3-magnitude earthquake has struck the city of Christchurch in New Zealand for the second time in less than six months, killing a number of people, while scores of others are still trapped in buildings.
The city had experienced a 7.1 magnitude earthquake on September 4, 2010.
Witnesses to the latest quake said that they could hear people screaming from the Pyne Gould Business building, where up to 150 people were feared trapped, stuff.co.nz reports.
A woman, who was working in a department store in central Christchurch when the earthquake struck the city, said: “I was clinging to this cupboard next to my desk. I thought it was going to be fine, but it got worse and worse, and went on for so long. It’s the worst one I’ve felt.”
Another resident of the city said that this was the biggest shake since the original September 4 quake, adding that it had even led to power cuts and disrupted the communication system.
“There’s just water pouring out and sewerage, the whole garage is filled with water. There are cracks in the road,” he added.
According to police, two buses had been crushed by falling debris.
Today’s earthquake happened at a shallow depth of five to six kilometres below ground, the report said. (ANI)
- 238 missing and 78 dead in New Zealand earthquake - Feb 24, 2011
- New Zealand extends National State of Emergency over Christchurch quake - Mar 01, 2011
- New Zealand earthquake death toll rises to 123 - Feb 26, 2011
- New Zealand earthquake survivor trapped in 'foetal position' marries - Feb 25, 2011
- 65 killed as quake shakes up New Zealand city (Second Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- NZ earthquake 'a warning to North America' - Feb 23, 2011
- Rescuers pray for prosperity of Christchurch earthquake site - Mar 02, 2011
- New Zealand to spend 8.5 billion dollars on Christchurch rebuild - Apr 12, 2011
- Emergency declared after massive 7.1-magnitude earthquake hits Christchurch - Sep 04, 2010
- 4.8 magnitude aftershock jolts Christchurch - Mar 05, 2011
- New Zealand PM keen to host rugby World Cup games in Christchurch - Mar 08, 2011
- Christchurch quake: National emergency declared as toll reaches 75 - Feb 23, 2011
- 65 die as quake ravages New Zealand city (Third Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- 5.3-magnitude aftershock shakes Christchurch - Apr 16, 2011
- New Zealand earthquake death toll rises to 163 - Mar 04, 2011
Tags: buses, business building, central christchurch, communication system, cracks, cupboard, department store, desk, falling debris, gould, kilometres, magnitude earthquake, new zealand, pyne, quake, second time, shallow depth, six months, stuff co nz, wellington