Manmohan Singh to visit Oz next yearNovember 4th, 2010 - 12:06 pm ICT by ANI
Canberra, Nov 3 (ANI): Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has reportedly accepted an invitation to visit Australia next year, a move that is expected to provide a symbolic boost for Indo-Australian ties strained by assaults on Indian students and by Labor’s ban on uranium sales to India.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, a spokesman for Australian Prime Minister, Julia Gillard has confirmed that the 78-year-old Indian leader had agreed to an ‘official bilateral visit’ after being invited by Gillard at the East Asia Summit in Hanoi on Saturday.
She also told Dr Singh that appropriate steps would be taken to ensure a safe environment for overseas students in Australia, including reforms to immigration rules.
It will be the first visit by an Indian Prime Minister since Bob Hawke hosted Rajiv Gandhi in 1986.
However, no dates have been confirmed as of now, but it is expected that the trip would take place before or after the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting to be held in Perth in October, the paper said.
Australia’s reputation in India has been damaged by publicity about a series of attacks on Indians in Melbourne and Sydney last year and early this year.
Australian officials have been trying for several years to arrange for Dr Singh to visit.
The government says it wants to put India at the ‘front rank’ of its international relationships. Trade and investment between the two has grown rapidly and India is now Australia’s fourth-biggest export market, the paper added. (ANI)
- Australia invites Indian PM on official visit - Nov 04, 2010
- Obama denies asking Australia to sell uranium to India - Nov 16, 2011
- Australian ex-PM supports move for uranium sale to India - Dec 03, 2011
- Australian ruling party votes for uranium sale to India - Dec 04, 2011
- Australia relents on lifting uranium ban, India hails move (Second Lead) - Nov 15, 2011
- Krishna to renew pitch for uranium sale in Australia - Jan 17, 2011
- Australian signals lifting uranium ban, India hails move - Nov 15, 2011
- Krishna to go to Australia, uranium sale, FTA on agenda - Jan 13, 2011
- Aussie media lobbies for uranium for India - Oct 29, 2011
- India welcomes Australian Labor Party move on uranium sale - Dec 04, 2011
- PM and Gillard meet, discuss sale of uranium (Lead) - Nov 19, 2011
- Pakistan wants equal treatment from Australia on uranium - Dec 05, 2011
- India will need 5,057 tonnes of uranium in 12th Plan (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- No Australian uranium for Pakistan: Gillard (Interview) - Jan 13, 2012
- Bilateral with Australia called off - Oct 30, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,