Manmohan Singh meets Chinese President Hu JintaoApril 13th, 2011 - 6:09 pm ICT by ANI
By Naveen Kapoor
Sanya, Apr 13 (ANI): Indian Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh met Chinese President Hu Jintao on the sidelines of the BRICS summit in China.
Heads of the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa), five of the world’s top emerging economies would be meeting in Sanya on Thursday to discuss a coordinated stance on international issues.
During the BRICS Summit, Dr. Singh will have bilateral meetings with all his counterparts - China, Brazil, South Africa and the Russian Federation.
Dr Singh is being accompanied by his wife Gursharan Kaur, along with a high level delegation comprising Trade Minister Anand Sharma, National Security Advisor Shiv Shankar Menon and other senior officials from the Prime Minister’s Office as well as the Foreign Ministry.
Besides political and media representatives, the delegation also includes a group of members representing Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry(FICCI) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), who will be also be attending the BRICS Business Forum.
The BRICS group has emerged as a loose united front to press the rich Western economies, especially the United States, which has traditionally dominated global diplomacy.
Yet there are many disparities among the BRICS member countries, and the past two summits of the evolving group have not achieved much.
This time, strains over China’s currency policies and trade surpluses could make concrete agreement difficult to reach.
The forthcoming BRICS Summit is the third in a row. The first one took place in Yekaterinburg in Russia on June 2009 while the second was hosted at Brasilia in April 2010. (ANI)
- Manmohan Singh meets Russian President Dmitry Medvedev - Apr 13, 2011
- World economic recovery uneven, says Chinese Trade Minister - Apr 13, 2011
- Tibetan lawmakers hope India, China will build consensus during BRICS summit - Apr 13, 2011
- BRICS Summit - Facts at a glance - Mar 28, 2012
- Rising trade deficit with China a matter of concern: Anand Sharma - Apr 13, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to leave for third BRICS Summit in China tomorrow - Apr 11, 2011
- BRICS to sign unique pact at Sanya to use own currencies for lending and grants - Apr 13, 2011
- India gears up to host BRICS summit in March - Dec 23, 2011
- BRICS summit to focus on fixing global recession: India - Jan 31, 2012
- BRICS to sign pacts for trade in local currencies - Mar 26, 2012
- Manmohan Singh expects defence exchanges with China to continue - Apr 17, 2011
- BRICS leaders issue Sanya Declaration - Apr 14, 2011
- BRICS can transform global governance: India - Mar 05, 2012
- Manmohan invites more foreign investment - Apr 14, 2011
- Manmohan Singh back after visit to China, Kazakhstan - Apr 17, 2011
Tags: anand sharma, chambers of commerce and industry, china heads, chinese president hu jintao, confederation of indian industry, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, global diplomacy, hu jintao, india china, indian chambers of commerce, indian prime minister, level delegation, manmohan singh, national security advisor, president hu jintao, shiv shankar menon, summit dr, trade surpluses, western economies