Manmohan Singh leaves for Myanmar (Lead)May 27th, 2012 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 27 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday left for Myanmar on a three-day trip that will see him unveil new initiatives in expanding trade and energy cooperation with the oil-rich country besides inking a pact on a bus service between Imphal and Mandalay.
Manmohan Singh meets Monday President Thein Sein who has been carrying out reforms in a country that has seen nearly 50 years of military rule. On Tuesday, he will travel to Yangon to meet pro-democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi.
The prime minister is accompanied by his wife Gursharan Kaur, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna and senior officials.
This will be the first trip by an Indian prime minister to the Southeast Asian country in a quarter century. The last Indian prime minister to visit the country was Rajiv Gandhi in 1987.
A number of accords are likely to be signed after the talks between Manmohan Singh and Thein Sein. These may include a revised aviation agreement to scale up the number of flights between the two countries. India is also likely to announce a fresh line of credit for development projects.
Ahead of the visit, the Indian cabinet Thursday cleared the bus service linking Imphal in Manipur to Mandalay in Myanmar.
A delegation of CEOs of major Indian companies will be also in Myanmar during the prime minister’s visit. The delegation will be led by Sunil Bharti Mittal, chairman and group CEO of Bharti Enterprises, and Rajya Vardhan Kanoria, chairman and MD of Kanoria Chemicals and Industries Ltd.
India shares a 1,643 km long border with Myanmar. The Indian states sharing Myanmar border are Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram.
- India eyes trade, connectivity during PM's Myanmar visit - May 25, 2012
- Manmohan Singh in Myanmar: An Indian PM's visit after 25 years (Lead) - May 27, 2012
- PM's Myanmar agenda: Imphal-Mandalay bus link, trade (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Ahead of PM's visit India-Myanmar bus cleared - May 24, 2012
- Factfile on Myanmar - May 27, 2012
- Manmohan arrives in Myanmar: First Indian PM to visit in 25 years (Second Lead) - May 27, 2012
- PM leaves for Myanmar - May 27, 2012
- Trade, connectivity top PM's Myanmar agenda - May 24, 2012
- Doing trade, driving down to Myanmar just got easier - May 30, 2012
- PM arrives in Myanmar - May 27, 2012
- Manmohan Singh meets Myanmar President Thein Sein - May 28, 2012
- India, Myanmar to be better connected, have more trade (Fourth Lead) - May 28, 2012
- PM holds talks with Myanmar President Thein Sein (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- PM hails Myanmar's democratic transition - May 27, 2012
- Border issues discussed with Myanmar: PM - May 30, 2012
Tags: aung san suu kyi, aviation agreement, bharti enterprises, energy cooperation, external affairs minister, group ceo, imphal, indian cabinet, indian prime minister, indian states, manipur, manmohan, manmohan singh, military rule, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajiv gandhi, san suu, southeast asian country, thein