Manmohan Singh concludes Japan visit, leaves for MalaysiaOctober 26th, 2010 - 4:10 pm ICT by ANI
Tokyo, Oct 26 (ANI): The Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Singh, left for Malaysia on Tuesday after concluding his three-day visit to Japan during which the two sides decided to speed up negotiations on a civil nuclear deal and agreed on a range of other issues to strengthen ties in all spheres.
The Prime Minister, who will be in Kuala Lumpur for three days, before he leaves for Hanoi on the final leg of his trip, with hold talks with his counterpart Mohd Najib Tin Abdul Razak.
Dr Manmohan Singh, who arrived in Tokyo on Sunday, held extensive discussions with his Japanese counterpart Naoto Kan, leaders from business and politics during which they discussed ways to further improve their ties.
During his visit to Japan, the two nations announced the firming up of Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement, which will open trade between the two countries and slashing of taxes up to 94 percent over the next decade.
“The two Prime Ministers had comprehensive discussions and felt the need for developing all encompassing relations covering political, economy and security aspects,” said Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao summing up Dr Manmohan Singh’s visit to Japan.
The two nations also decided to establish a ministerial level ‘Economic Dialogue’ between India and Japan to give strategic and long-term policy orientation to their bilateral engagement.
The proposal was mooted by Japan, which already has such a dialogue with China.
Both Dr Manmohan Singh and his Japanese counterpart Kan affirmed that cooperation in nuclear sector will open up new opportunities for further developing the ‘India-Japan Strategic and Global Partnership’.
The Prime Minister returns to New Delhi on October 30. (ANI)
- Manmohan leaves Japan, heads to Malaysia - Oct 26, 2010
- India, Japan hail negotiations for cooperation in peaceful use of nuclear energy - Oct 25, 2010
- India, Japan conclude negotiations on signing of CEPA - Oct 26, 2010
- Manmohan Singh lands in Tokyo for annual summit - Oct 24, 2010
- India, Japan conclude talks on economic partnership agreement - Oct 25, 2010
- India, Japan welcome cooperation in new and renewable energy, clean coal technology - Oct 25, 2010
- India, Japan hail progress in cooperation in science and technology sector - Oct 26, 2010
- PM in Japan to give new edge to 'old relationship' (Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
- India, Japan to sew up economic accord, n-supply pact not ready - Oct 22, 2010
- Prime Minister to embark on three-nation Asia tour on Sunday (Part I) - Oct 22, 2010
- Manmohan to visit Japan, nuclear deal on way - Aug 12, 2010
- India, Japan ink deal to improve bilateral trade and investment - Oct 26, 2010
- Amid China trouble, India, Japan to firm up economic pact - Sep 04, 2010
- India, Japan share concerns on China (Lead) - Oct 25, 2010
- India, Japan to hold economic dialogue, discuss n-deal (Lead) - Apr 29, 2012
Tags: comprehensive economic cooperation agreement, dr manmohan singh, economic cooperation, economic dialogue, global partnership, hanoi, japan visit, japanese counterpart, kuala lumpur, manmohan, manmohan singh, ministerial level, new opportunities, nirupama, nuclear deal, nuclear sector, policy orientation, political economy, prime ministers, security aspects