Manchester United, Chelsea in FA Cup semisMarch 8th, 2009 - 2:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 8 (DPA) Manchester United and Chelsea marched into the semi-finals of the English FA Cup with resounding victories.
Cup favourites United stormed to a 4-0 win against Fulham, while Chelsea cruised to a 2-0 victory away to Coventry City, Staurday.
United left out Cristiano Ronaldo for the trip to London but were in rampant mood as they ripped past Roy Hodgson’s side with a superb performance.
Carlos Tevez headed them in front after 20 minutes and then took advantage of poor defending to make it 2-0 with a curling finish 10 minutes before half-time.
More shoddy defending allowed Wayne Rooney time and space to find the corner five minutes into the second half, and Park Ji Sung completed the rout with the fourth, again feeding off poor defending to slot the ball home.
At Coventry, Didier Drogba put Chelsea ahead on 15 minutes and Alex made sure of the victory with the second 18 minutes from the end.
Coventry had beaten Blackburn Rovers in the previous round but when Drogba fired past two players on the line to put Chelsea ahead, they always faced an uphill battle.
Defender Alex then put the tie to bed with the second goal, finishing off a fine counter-attacking move after a great cross from Ricardo Quaresma.
Manager Guus Hiddink was delighted with the contribution of Drogba, who has excelled since the Dutchman took over from Luiz Felipe Scolari.
“He is dangerous. He is working very hard and he is good for the team,” Hiddink said.
“There are still some little things that he needs to improve on, but he is working on them in sessions outside of training which he likes.”
Coventry manager Chris Coleman said he was pleased with the way his side attacked Chelsea, but rued the mistakes that led to the first goal.
“You don’t want to give a team like that the chance that we did,” he said.
“It was a clinical finish but after that I though we did well always pushing up at
them. The ball just didn’t bounce our way.”
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Chelsea stun Barcelona at home in Champions League - Apr 19, 2012
- Valiant Chelsea knock Barca out, reach Champions League final - Apr 25, 2012
- Drogba strikes to keep Chelsea dream alive - Mar 04, 2009
- Drogba stars as Chelsea march into champions league last 16 - Dec 07, 2011
- Ivory Coast go out despite 3-0 win over North Korea (Lead) - Jun 26, 2010
- Chelsea lose at home to Villa - Jan 01, 2012
- Chelsea reach Champions League quarters after thrilling win - Mar 15, 2012
- For Abramovich, it could be Dutch on coach selection - Apr 14, 2011
- Ronaldinho's Atletico falters, Vasco stays top - Jun 18, 2012
- United, Chelsea maintain pace as Arsenal stumble - Mar 28, 2010
- Manchester City wins league title in thrilling fashion - May 14, 2012
- Guus Hiddink rules out dramatic Chelsea comeback - Apr 15, 2011
- Chelsea thrash Wigan to lift Premier League title - May 10, 2010
- Chelsea's Drogba says he's baffled by Arsenal scoring record - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: carlos tevez, chris coleman, coventry city, cup favourites, cup semis, dutchman, english fa cup, guus hiddink, ji sung, london march, luiz felipe, manchester united, park ji sung, ricardo quaresma, rout, roy hodgson, semi finals, trip to london, uphill battle, wayne rooney