Man with explosives held at US airportJanuary 1st, 2012 - 11:13 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 1 (IANS) A man has been arrested in the US for allegedly attempting to carry explosives through a security checkpoint at an airport in Texas, the authorities said.
Trey Scott Atwater, a resident of Hope Mills in North Carolina, was arrested Saturday after security officials spotted a suspicious item at the Midland airport, CNN reported. The airport terminal was temporarily evacuated.
The item was in his carry-on luggage and was detected during X-ray screening at the Midland International Airport, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) spokesman Mark Morgan said in a statement.
“At no time was there any danger to the people at Midland international airport or the community of Midland, Texas,” Morgan said.
Though the FBI did not identify the explosives, a city government spokeswoman said the items were “wrapped in military grade wrapping”.
- UK airports on alert over dummy bomb warnings - Dec 18, 2010
- When Joe Jonas accidentally tried to take knives through airport security - Nov 26, 2010
- Russian airports ease passenger search rules - Apr 25, 2012
- Detention of American-Yemeni over terror plot may be a false alarm - Sep 01, 2010
- Three South Koreans detained at Indonesian airport for carrying explosive materials - Aug 09, 2011
- Newark Airport Returns To Normalcy Post Bomb Scare - Dec 21, 2010
- Dutch police arrest twelve Somali terror suspects - Dec 26, 2010
- Scotland Yard, TSA and White House statements regarding potential terror plot - Oct 30, 2010
- Indian nabbed at Houston airport with jihadist material - Aug 24, 2010
- Security cop allows air-passenger with boxcutter blades! - Jan 23, 2011
- UPS planes searched after suspicious item found in London - Oct 29, 2010
- Minister Commits Blunder By Carrying Liquids To Airport - Nov 08, 2010
- Cleveland's Hopkins International Airport Officials Find Ammunition In Don King's Luggage - Dec 14, 2010
- Greene, Jonas escape airport arrest at Abu Dhabi - Nov 27, 2010
- Indian consulate in touch with filmmaker held in US - Aug 28, 2010
Tags: airport terminal, authorities, carry on luggage, city government, cnn, explosives, fbi, fbi spokesman, federal bureau of investigation, hope mills, investigation fbi, mark morgan, midland airport, midland international airport, midland texas, security checkpoint, security officials, spokeswoman, trey, x ray