Man who stole radioactive material arrestedFebruary 25th, 2009 - 12:48 pm ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, Feb 25 (IANS) A former employee of an oil services company was arrested in the Argentine city of Neuquen for stealing radioactive material and demanding $500,000 for its return, EFE reported.
Two masked men stole the material last Thursday from oil services company Baker Atlas’s offices in Neuquen by overpowering a security guard and demanding the keys to the storage area for radioactive materials.
The fled with a sealed lead-lined container holding 40 kg of the radioactive material.
Several hours later, a caller demanded that the company pay $500,000 to get the container back, the Clarin newspaper reported.
The police and Baker Atlas tried to find the container and managed to identify the robbery’s mastermind, a former company employee who was arrested Saturday while transporting the material in the trunk of a taxi.
The radioactive material was worth no more than $5,000, the newspaper said.
- Loss of permit in Argentina a surprise: Petrobras - Apr 05, 2012
- Colombian beauty queen held for drug trafficking - May 28, 2010
- FAA proposes penalties against several airlines for violating maintenance procedures, transporting uranium - Jun 30, 2010
- Trade between Argentina, India to reach $2 bn - Nov 17, 2010
- Argentina sees wind energy projects creating 10,000 jobs - Jun 11, 2012
- Argentine lawmakers double their own salaries - Feb 14, 2012
- Russia has 25,000 undersea radioactive waste sites - Dec 26, 2011
- Argentina may issue currency with Evita's likeness - Jun 04, 2012
- Rights groups halt plan to kill diseased dogs in Argentina - Aug 03, 2010
- Putin calls for auction sales of strategic deposits - Jul 10, 2012
- Indian man becomes 'farming king' in Argentina - Nov 07, 2011
- A Festival of India set to charm Argentina - Dec 02, 2011
- Argentine oil firm made $3 bn investments in 2011 - Feb 09, 2012
- Argentine government takes over train operator after crash - Feb 29, 2012
- Short-staffed Argentine jail dresses up doll as guard - Jul 21, 2010