Man who raped teenager while asleep walks freeJuly 5th, 2011 - 11:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 5 (IANS) A man in Britain, who raped a teenaged girl, walked free from a court Monday after convincing the jury that he was actually suffering from ’sexsomnia’, a sleeping disorder.
Stephen Lee Davies, 43, told the jury he could not remember having intercourse with the teenage college student despite speaking to her at the time, and then leaving his bedroom to make a hot drink afterwards.
The court heard that he even sent a text message to the girl the following day to inquire whether they had been intimate, the Daily Mail reported Tuesday.
The incident occurred when 16-year-old student was staying overnight at Davies’ home in Pembroke Dock, Wales. She fell ill during the night and went to sleep in Davies’ bedroom because his room was cool.
The girl told the jury of waking up to find herself lying on her side and Davies having sex with her.
Davies told the court he was already fast asleep and had no idea if she was there.
After his arrest, Davies said he still didn’t know if he had had intercourse with her.
Sleep expert Chris Idzikowski, director of the Edinburgh Sleep Centre and founder of the British Sleep Society, said Davies showed all the signs of suffering from sexsomnia.
He said sexsomnia fell into the category of sleepwalking, which affected about four per cent of adults.
Sexsomnia is a disorder that involves the occurrence of sexual acts ranging from fondling to intercourse during sleep. Those who commit these acts have no recollection of the events upon waking.
- Brit man accused of groping woman claims he suffers from 'sexsomnia' - Oct 28, 2010
- Briton with sexsomnia walks free in sexual assault case - Oct 29, 2010
- Sexsomnia common among sleep center patients - Jun 07, 2010
- Brit man cleared of attack on woman because he suffers from 'sexsomnia' - Oct 29, 2010
- Sexsomnia runs in the family, says expert - Oct 22, 2010
- Belgian man acquitted of raping daughter due to 'sexsomnia' - Mar 31, 2010
- Sex casts its spell on sleeping people too - Jun 07, 2010
- Sexsomnia linked to gene? - Oct 22, 2010
- Woman sleepwalks to death - Dec 22, 2011
- Briton claims he was sleepwalking during rape, jailed - Mar 29, 2012
- Indian man in Sydney court for groping teenage schoolgirls on Bangkok-Sydney flight - Jul 01, 2010
- Donal Kinsella Rewarded £8.51million for Sleepwalking Naked - Nov 19, 2010
- Debate rages over judges who fall asleep on the job (The Funny Side) - Aug 24, 2012
- Nepalese royal accused of raping Sydney woman - Jul 20, 2010
- Indian-origin MP condemns release of sleep-hit burglar - Nov 19, 2011
Tags: chris idzikowski, daily mail, edinburgh, fondling, free london, having intercourse, having sex, lee davies, occurrence, recollection, sexsomnia, sexual acts, sleep, sleep centre, sleep society, sleeping disorder, sleepwalking, teenaged girl, teenager, text message