Man who raped at least 10 boys nabbedFebruary 19th, 2009 - 12:59 pm ICT by IANS
Guatemala City, Feb 19 (IANS) A man who over the past year allegedly raped at least 10 boys here has been nabbed, authorities said.
The police said that Sergio Anibal Lopez, 43, was captured in the Primero de Julio neighbourhood, where - according to complaints - he sexually abused boys ranging in age from six to nine, EFE reported Thursday.
Lopez had been arrested for the first time on the weekend, but he was released due to lack of evidence.
However, the suspected rapist was captured again Tuesday after the victims’ parents presented new evidence to the authorities.
The man allegedly offered candy and money to his intended victims, then took them to his house where he threatened them and raped them, the father of one of the boys told police.
So far, medical exams have established that four of the boys could have been raped by Lopez, while the other youngsters have not yet been examined by doctors.
A leader of the Social Movement for the Rights of Guatemalan Children, Adolescents and Youth, Jose Garcia, commented Wednesday to reporters that sexual crimes have become an “epidemic” in Guatemala and cause lifelong psychological trauma to those who are victimised.
- Mob in Guatemala kills man who murdered two kids - Sep 13, 2012
- Guatemalan cop accused of holding teen as sex slave - Aug 18, 2012
- Castration for rapist? Many women don't agree - May 03, 2011
- Two school officials dismissed for negligence in rape case - Sep 26, 2011
- Rape victims of Balkan war say Jolie's film on event will re-ignite their hell - Nov 01, 2010
- Guatemala busts gang blamed for 18 rapes - Jun 09, 2012
- Man jailed in Britain for raping drunk women - Sep 24, 2011
- Woman gangraped in power firm's housing colony, four held - Jul 04, 2011
- 400 offenders in Britain raped again after release - Jul 16, 2012
- Investigating agency rules out rape in Pipili case - Mar 10, 2012
- Prison warden slain in Guatemala - Jul 20, 2012
- Minor raped at BSP MP's house in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 30, 2012
- Rapist leaves scar on woman's chastity: Court - Sep 02, 2012
- Call to try women, child sexual abuse cases in Pak in Anti-Terrorism Courts - Nov 25, 2010
- Two minors raped in Delhi - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: adolescents, anibal lopez, authorities, candy, city feb, doctors, efe, epidemic, guatemala city, guatemalan children, jose garcia, medical exams, neighbourhood, new evidence, one of the boys, parents, psychological trauma, rapist, sexual crimes, youngsters