Man uses 18-month-old son as guarantee on debt paymentFebruary 13th, 2009 - 4:20 pm ICT by IANS
Kemerovo (Russia), Feb 13 (RIA Novosti) The police in Siberia are searching for a man who gave a moneylender his 18-month-old child as a guarantee for debt repayment, an official said Friday.
The police were called to the village of Yasnaya Polyana in the south of the Kemerovo Region to check reports of an unidentified child who appeared in one of the families.
They determined that the family had received the child as a “guarantee” that a debt would be repaid.
“Police found the creditor and the child, but he refused to hand over the toddler, saying that he received him as a guarantee from his debtor and would not return him unless the debt is repaid,” the official said.
“Police had to take the child by force.”
The child was taken to a hospital for medical examination and will be taken to an orphanage.
The parents will most likely lose their parental rights over the child.
- Moscow seeks US probe in adopted Russian girl's rape case - Jun 17, 2011
- Russian boxer to go in search of yeti - Sep 15, 2011
- Over 100 patients survive roof collapse in Siberia - Jan 30, 2011
- Russian gamer clears debt to get back laptop - Jul 06, 2012
- Debt collectors seize calves as credit crunch takes hold - May 19, 2009
- UFO crashes in Siberia? - Apr 14, 2012
- Case filed against mom caught selling toddlers - Jun 02, 2011
- US couple abandon adopted Russian boy - Apr 09, 2010
- Russian court clears minor from repaying mum's debt - May 11, 2012
- Man held for failing to repay loan to 1,000 lenders - Feb 06, 2012
- Child attacked by tiger in Russian zoo - Jan 04, 2012
- Two Americans kidnapped in Egypt - Jun 01, 2012
- Parents held as toddler consumes cocaine - Sep 30, 2011
- Give Greece extra time: Austria - Aug 27, 2012
- Russian postal workers poisoned by toxic parcel - May 31, 2012