Man thinks moon is UFO, calls emergencyOctober 29th, 2011 - 5:05 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 29 (IANS) A Briton rang up emergency number 999 to report an UFO hovering above his house, but later said the “mysterious object” was only the moon.
The caller was in a state of panic, saying the object’s lights were blazing, The Sun reported.
But a few moments later, he phoned the operator again to say the UFO turned out to be the moon.
Hertfordshire police, which received the call, reminded people not to block emergency lines. The alert was initially treated seriously.
“While the caller may not have been phoning out of malice, his call still tied up valuable police resources and time for something which was not an emergency,” said Jason Baxter, assistant manager at the police force’s communications room.
“I would like to encourage people before they phone 999 to ask themselves is this really a police matter?”
“If this is not a police matter, please do not call us. Otherwise you could potentially put others with genuine police or emergency calls at risk or prevent them from getting through.”
“Also, if you are thinking it would be funny to play a ‘trick’ this Halloween and make a hoax call, be very careful. You could find the ‘trick’ is on you when we prosecute you for making a hoax call,” he said.
- UFO hovering above Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem seen as a hoax - Feb 05, 2011
- She made 800 hoax calls to cops, now faces jail - Dec 30, 2011
- UK residents called 999 dozens of times over 'ghost and UFO worries' - Sep 04, 2010
- Hoax call to blow up Delhi Police headquarters - Nov 06, 2011
- Devon Griffin thought that his slain family was a Halloween joke - Nov 02, 2010
- Shiny objects hovering over Chelsea spark UFO speculation - Oct 14, 2010
- Businessman held for making bomb hoax call - May 16, 2011
- Couple calls ambulance to save cat - Aug 19, 2011
- Cyrus house invasion call a hoax - Aug 02, 2012
- Kiev tightens security in Euro 2012 fan zone - Jun 14, 2012
- Does 'UFO' sighting above Jerusalem shrine suggest alien existence? - Feb 03, 2011
- Halloween costume history and quotes - Oct 31, 2011
- Bomb scare at Taj Mahal - Jan 04, 2012
- Bomb scare at Delhi educational institution - May 08, 2012
- Drunk Briton loses sausages, tells police about hostages - Nov 05, 2011
Tags: baxter, briton, communications room, emergency lines, emergency number, few moments, halloween, hoax, london, malice, moon, mysterious object, police force, police resources, risk, s communications, state of panic, sun, ufo