Man takes deadly leap from roof to stage at concertAugust 22nd, 2010 - 8:43 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Aug 22 (DPA) A concertgoer died in an apparent suicide when he jumped from the roof of an amphitheatre onto the stage where a folk music duo was performing, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Saturday.
The death occurred during a concert by the group Swell Season late Thursday at Mountain Winery’s outdoor stage outside Saratoga, California, about 80 km south of San Francisco.
The man who died was identified by the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office as Michael Edward Pickels, 32 of San Jose, California.
He had gone to the concert with a friend but slipped away from their seats during the performance, sheriff’s spokesman Sergeant Rick Sung told the Chronicle.
A short time later, he appeared at the roof above the musicians and plummeted to the stage from a height of at least eight metres.
Another concertgoer said that Swell Season had just performed a song with the title When Your Mind’s Made Up, prior to the incident. The duo halted the concert and later posted a message of condolence on their website.
- Male Plummets To His Demise During A Gig At The Mountain Winery In Saratoga - Aug 20, 2010
- Bieber to play charity gig for college kids - Jun 08, 2011
- Katy Perry calls out Microsoft for not dishing out free drinks to fans at gig - Nov 10, 2010
- Fan steals Shakira's ring - Apr 15, 2011
- Enrique Iglesias launches world tour in Puerto Rico - Jan 31, 2011
- 85 protesters arrested in US - Oct 26, 2011
- New spider with fearsome claws found in US cave - Aug 18, 2012
- Bennett to be honoured in San Francisco - Feb 12, 2012
- Tila Tequila attacked at the Illinois Music Festival - Aug 16, 2010
- Cartilage graft will help regenerate bone - Feb 16, 2012
- Britney's "What's up, London?" gaffe in Manchester - Jun 19, 2009
- 9-year-old boy from California becomes youngest ever US chess master - Dec 23, 2010
- Musical Festival Ozzfest 2010 Lineup Announced - May 01, 2010
- Apple plans new-generation iPad event - Feb 29, 2012
- Diet of emails, texts, tweets and status updates can drain your brain! - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: apparent suicide, concertgoer, folk music, leap, message of condolence, mountain winery, music duo, musicians, outdoor stage, pickels, san francisco chronicle, san jose california, santa clara county, santa clara county sheriff, saratoga, saratoga california, sergeant, short time, spokesman, swell season