Man stabbed over baseball game debateOctober 4th, 2010 - 9:57 am ICT by IANS
New York, Oct 4 (IANS) A baseball fan in the US state of Connecticut was stabbed over an argument with another man over a rivalry between two teams, police said.
Police in Branford, 128 km from New York, were investigating the Saturday night stabbing of a man, reportedly sparked off by an argument over the rivalry between the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox baseball teams, Fox News reported.
A man named Monte Freire was stabbed at a restaurant around 10.42 p.m. Saturday by John Mayor, 45.
An argument about baseball had erupted between Mayor, a Yankees fan, and Freire, a Red Sox supporter, police said.
Friends of the victim chased Mayor through the restaurant’s parking lot. When Mayor saw the police, he threw away the knife he was carrying. Police recovered the knife, arrested Mayor and charged him with first-degree assault.
He was also charged with interfering with an officer, tampering with evidence, breach of peace and possession of a controlled substance.
Freire was taken to hospital and underwent an emergency surgery. He was in a critical condition late Sunday.
- Former Yankees baseball player desperate to block wife-swap film - Feb 24, 2011
- Dustin Moseley Takes To Field A Day Earlier - Aug 09, 2010
- NJIT professor projects 2011 Major League Baseball winners using math - Apr 02, 2011
- Cop fired for Carl Crawford slur - Jul 27, 2012
- Marcus Thames Snatches Win For Yankees - May 18, 2010
- Baseballer Clemens indicted for lying about steroid use - Aug 20, 2010
- Legendary Manager Ralph Houk Dies At 90 - Jul 22, 2010
- Hockey player killed in New Year celebration - Jan 01, 2012
- Steven Tyler Sings At National Baseball League - Apr 05, 2010
- Major league baseball playoffs - Oct 03, 2011
- A number of upsets happen in the Major league baseball playoffs - Oct 10, 2011
- Pawtucket Red Sox owner Ben Mondor dead at 85 - Oct 04, 2010
- Boston Red Sox moves to the top of the 'Al wild card chase' - Sep 28, 2011
- Pedro Martinez Throws The Ceremonial Pitch For The Boston Red Sox - Apr 05, 2010
- Marco Scutaro Makes Preliminary Agreement With Boston Red Sox - Dec 05, 2009
Tags: baseball fan, baseball game, baseball teams, boston red sox, breach of peace, critical condition, degree assault, emergency surgery, first degree, fox news, game debate, john mayor, monte freire, new york yankees, possession of a controlled substance, rivalry, sox baseball, state of connecticut, tampering with evidence, yankees fan