Man shoots woman, kills self at Wal-Mart centreFebruary 23rd, 2012 - 8:49 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 23 (IANS) A 40-year-old woman manager at a Wal-Mart distribution centre in the US state of Virginia was shot at by an employee who later killed himself when confronted by police Wednesday, officials said.The shooting took place at a facility in Dinwiddie county, around 50 km south of state capital Richmond, Xinhua reported citing the ocal WRIC TV, which serves the Richmond-Petersburg area.
Officials said a woman suffered injuries described as “not life-threatening” while the suspected male shooter killed himself.
A report said the woman was the manager of the centre and the 32-year-old man shot her in the leg.
When law-enforcement officers responded to an emergency call, they saw the man outside the facility, and were shot at by him with a handgun.
The man then fatally shot himself in the chest. Neither his nor the woman’s names were released. The woman victim was air-lifted to a nearby hospital.
The motive behind the shooting remained unclear.
After the shooting, police locked down the facility and a nearby school as a precautionary measure.
The distribution centre employs about 600 people, serving 72 stores and has been in the county for 20 years.
- Man dressed in cow suit robs milk at Walmart - Apr 29, 2011
- Privacy Concerns Generated As Wal-Mart Resolves To Position Smart Tags On Males' Attires - Jul 25, 2010
- Wal-Mart Dumping Case Reaches A Monetary Settlement - May 08, 2010
- Wal-Mart's Extra Pay Policy For Sunday Coming To An End - Dec 09, 2010
- Wal-Mart all set to withdraw its extra pay scheme for Sundays - Dec 09, 2010
- Wal-Mart showcases a new postpaid cell phone plan - Sep 14, 2010
- 5 admitted in hospital after shooting at Austin-area Wal-Mart - Aug 20, 2012
- Wal-Mart to pay a fine of $27.6 million in the 'dumping case' - May 05, 2010
- Wal-Mart Q3 profit below estimates - Nov 16, 2011
- Wal-Mart Recalls 2.2 Million Heaters - Dec 18, 2010
- Michelle Obama, Wal-Mart team up for healthy food campaign - Jan 21, 2011
- Wal-Mart Intends To Terminate Extra Pay For Its Employees Functioning On Sunday - Dec 09, 2010
- Shopper in a mess over not showing receipts at Wal-Mart - Dec 08, 2010
- Supreme Court to decide on Wal-Mart discrimination case soon - Mar 28, 2011
- Wal-Mart Reaches For $27.6 Million Settlement Over Waste Dumping Case - May 04, 2010
Tags: distribution centre, emergency call, handgun, law enforcement officers, motive, nearby hospital, nearby school, old man, old woman, precautionary measure, richmond, shooter, state of virginia, wal mart, woman manager, wric tv, xinhua