Man jailed after selling daughter, 14, for beerJanuary 14th, 2009 - 11:34 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Jan 14 (DPA) A Mexican man living in California has been jailed after allegedly selling his 14-year-old daughter for marriage in exchange for cash, beer and meat and then calling the police when the groom failed to honour the deal, officials said.The arrest occurred in the central California town of Greenfield, about 225 km south of San Francisco. The town is home to many immigrants from Oaxaca, Mexico, and the case represented a clash between California law and the traditional culture of the immigrants, according to the local paper, the Salinas Californian, Tuesday.
Marcelino de Jesus Martinez, 36, was apparently unaware of any problems when he sold his daughter to Margarito de Jesus Galindo, 18, in exchange for $16,000, 160 cases of beer, 100 cases of soda, 50 cases of Gatorade, two cases of wine and six cases of meat, according to Greenfield police.
“The 14-year-old juvenile moved in with Galindo, and when payments were not received, the father, Martinez, called Greenfield PD to bring back the daughter,” according to a police statement.
After an investigation, the girl was returned to her parents, but the father was jailed on charges of receiving money for causing a person to cohabitate. The 18-year-old was charged with statutory rape.
- Journalist detained in El Salvador - Nov 22, 2010
- Major world earthquakes of 2012 - Apr 11, 2012
- Mob kills murder suspect in Brazil - May 16, 2012
- Gunmen attack children's shelter in Mexico, one killed - Dec 03, 2009
- Mel Gibson booked for assault charges - Mar 18, 2011
- Five found shot to death at San Francisco home - Mar 24, 2012
- Air passenger posts bail after being arrested for wearing saggy pants - Jun 18, 2011
- Alba, Mata and Martinez in Spain's Olympic squad - Jul 04, 2012
- Picasso drawing thief arrested - Jul 08, 2011
- San Francisco Bay Bridge Shut For An Hour After Man Threatens To Blow It Up - Nov 12, 2010
- Blast kills three varsity students in Colombia - Mar 26, 2012
- Hard times ahead for 'sham' US varsity students - Jan 30, 2011
- Kazakh beer thief returns unfinished bottles - Aug 21, 2012
- Jaycee Lee Dugard: Missing California girl found after 18 years - Aug 28, 2009
- Guatemala arrests former top cop for killings - Mar 24, 2012
Tags: 18 year old, california law, california town, cash beer, central california, clash, galindo, honour, immigrants, jesus martinez, living in california, marcelino, margarito, mexican man, oaxaca mexico, police statement, salinas californian, statutory rape, town of greenfield, traditional culture